Staked in U-joint, tips/help

• Staked in U-joint, tips/help

I just started with my first attempt at changing my U/joints on my drive shaft and found that when I pressed the joint through to its furthest point it still is not enough to get the first cup out. I've tried using a set of my biggest vice-grips without success. I was wandering if anyone has replaced their staked-in joints and had the cross-shoulder of the joint to obstruct them from being able to fully press out the joint. I will probably end up taking the whole assembly to the local machine shop but would like to save my money And I was hoping for a few tips or methods from members that have already accomplished this.
    Typical Red 1987 Z31 Jan.87.
    In process of NA2T Conversion

87 NA Build

if youre replacing them why not just hammer it to hell or cut it out?

Torches are the only tool I use for U-joint removal. Melt the cross out and hammer away.

I'm not sure of the Z31 joints, but sometimes the cups have a plastic retainer. Try heating the cup to melt the insides, then pull with pliers.
    5.3 LSx Z31

they are considered -non serviceable- but it sounds like you need to either hammer/ press the other way to get the other cup closer to being out, then remove the cross, and get the cups out themselves.
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

lot of cussing and hacksawing to cut the old one out… hammer the cups through..
    Who needs new car's, Nissan had it right 30 years ago!!!

Okay, thanks. I was worried about bending the end of the shaft where the u-joints get pressed in. I've never had one that was too short to press out before and being in Germany, it's hard to get parts to replace anything I break on accident. I miss my shop in the states. I wouldn't have this issue.

The u-joints i received are the wrong size. According to Rockford drive-line's application sheet, I needed the 430-11A u-joint specified for Nissan 300zx (exc. twin turbo) 1984-1989. I know the "exc twin turbo" is wrong, but they labeled all the 300zx's as exc twin turbo or twin turbo. I told them about this when trying to get the correct parts sent just now. It looks as though the T-5 trans uses the smaller cup for the u-joint (430-11A) and the NA and 87+ Turbo uses the same size U-joint (430-12).

430-11A: Bearing Diameter= .947" Inside lock-up=1.641" and is listed as fitting Nissan 300ZX (Exc. Twin Turbo) …1984-89

430-12: Bearing Dia.= .972 Inside lock-up= 1.641" and is listed as fitting
    Nissan 300ZX (Exc. Twin Turbo) …1990-96
    Nissan 300ZX (Twin Turbo) ...........1987-89
    Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 (Rear) ........1991-95
    Nissan Pickup 4x4 (Rear) ..............1991-93
    Nissan Pickup 2WD 4 cyl. .............1990-94

430-12A Bearing Dia.= 1.098" and Inside Lock-up=1.995" and is listed as fitting Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo 90-96

What I believe is that the T-5 Transmission from the 84-86 model Z31 should use the 430-11A, and the other Z31's regardless of being NA or Turbo would use the 430-12. When I made my measurements on my drive-shaft and U-joint I removed I got: Bearing Diameter= 24.665 mm and converted to inches is 0.971063. With my inside lock-up measuring 41.6814mm converting to 1.641"

I'm hoping some guru's are out there with the knowledge or parts lying around to measure so we can confirm my suspicions. I would like to get Rockford's ordering info corrected for those of you looking to replace your u-joints in the future.
    Typical Red 1987 Z31 Jan.87.
    In process of NA2T Conversion

87 NA Build