Dxd clutch selection question

• Dxd clutch selection question

The Stage 3 Drag is rated for 715 ft/lb but are there any adverse effects to using a drag clutch in a daily? Not really a daily but mostly street car but will be going on the track every now and then which is why I need a clutch that would be able to handle everything that came its way. I really wasnt concerned at first and was going to go with the Stage 3 daily. But I seen Michaelp's post http://z31performance.com/showthread…415#post333415 with the vg33 and I'm in the process of the vg33 swap in my 87 with a holset, nistune, 560cc injectors, walbro 255, and running 10-15psi.... and thought if he made that much torque using stock fuel and turbo at 10psi maybe I should get a clutch thats a little over kill just in case.

probably be pretty chattery as a daily.
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

That's a lot of torque for a vg33, I doubt you will be anywhere close to 715 with a holset. Probably something rated for 500-600 would be something more probable. I'm building mine for over 600 rwhp and have a kevlar clutch from SB with a 3300 lb PP rated for ~ 700-720 tq… it sucks for daily and if you get stuck in traffic then LOL, you're done. I have the sprung kevlar for my subaru that i DD and it's awesome. Went rigid (unsprung) for Z because race car (faster shifts)
    Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

Your best bet would be to contact Southbend and ask them which clutch they suggest, they are very helpful. Honestly though, I think you'd be fine with a stage 3 daily or endurance. I don't think you'll be hitting 500+ ft/lbs of torque on a holset.
    Prius… because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car…

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

Yea I know the 715 is a ways off I didn't plan on making that but I wanted a good safety margin. And there isn't a clutch listed for 600 it jumps from 575 to 715. Another thing I was thinking is the clutch is going to see more power than the wheels correct? If michaelp is making 368rwtq on a mustang dyno wouldn't that be 400+ actual tq at the clutch?

300zxturboftw;333664 wrote: That's a lot of torque for a vg33, I doubt you will be anywhere close to 715 with a holset. Probably something rated for 500-600 would be something more probable. I'm building mine for over 600 rwhp and have a kevlar clutch from SB with a 3300 lb PP rated for ~ 700-720 tq… it sucks for daily and if you get stuck in traffic then LOL, you're done. I have the sprung kevlar for my subaru that i DD and it's awesome. Went rigid (unsprung) for Z because race car (faster shifts)
    i know what ur trying to say, but there are holsets that will make more than double 715 hp

Careless;333694 wrote: i know what ur trying to say, but there are holsets that will make more than double 715 hp
    True, and he didn't specify what Holset. I guess we're assuming the normal HX/HY35 that most people here use.
    Prius… because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car…

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

Anybody here running a Holset in the stock location? I have only seen top mounts.
    AE , FMIC, 2.5 Turbo back, BOV, MBC, 8 Pounds, Spectre 12" cone, 350Z rims The old Z31

It does fit in the stock location.

I think Careless have one on stock location, take the time to search.

''And at the end of the day you have a Mitsubishi. It's like masturbating with your own tears.'' Neit86T