1986 N/A randomly pops out of 3rd gear

• 1986 N/A randomly pops out of 3rd gear

I have a 1986 N/A manual and recently ive noticed the car will pop out of 3rd gear. The shifter will just pop from 3rd into Neutral. The trans shifts fine no grinds or slipping. Ive searched and havent been able to find anything besides the low fluid level from nissan. The car has about 168k on it. i was going to try and change the fluid tonight since i know on some vehicles will have problem with low fluid. All i have though is 80w90 gear oil at the shop. i can buy gear oil but this is free and idk if it will be okay to use. Thanks

Need to make sure it's GL-4 oil. GL-5 will eat up your synchros. Most people use Redline MT90 in their 71C transmissions.
    Prius… because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car…

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

Prius… because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car…

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

ok thank you I'll get enough fluid to do my trans and rear end as well. would this possibly solve my popping out of gear?

Fluid won't help. Detents, or spring loaded balls and indention, on the shifting rails and syncro hubs hold it in gear. Since one ball/spring setup handles 3rd and 4th together, on the shift rail, it's unlike that it is that… Oh course, the syncro hub assembly between 3rd and 4th also share the same little spring loaded tabs, i call them dogs, i think the fsm calls them insert springs. So, odd that you are having trouble with one but not the other. But it could just be all sorts of shit worn out, moving around. When things can thrust back and forth in the box and the shift fork doesn't move, this kind of stuff can happen.

Did is start before you checked the oil level. Sure you didn't pull a small plug out of the side of the gear box looking for a filler plug? Maybe a little spring and ball fell out : )

I think this is the correct plug the 3/4 check ball, should have a spring then a ball under the plug.

just saw that they recommend gl-5 80w90 for the rear so I just need the gl-4 for the trans

no I haven't checked the oil at all. I just assumed that would be the easiest thing to try first.