Straight scoop on manual trans crossmembers?

• Straight scoop on manual trans crossmembers?

Alright guys, I have searched this forum, and the entire internet, trying to figure this out, but to no avail. Even asked my local Z guru. Nissan shows 2 different part numbers for manual trans crossmembers. 1 for 84-86, and another for 87-88. I am doing an auto to manual swap into my 87, using a T5 from an 84 turbo(yeah yeah, I know, but I have 3 of them). Trans is all bolted to the engine, but the crossmember doesn't line up to ANY of the existing bolt holes in the body. It's smack between 2 sets, in fact. I "could" slot the holes, but I hate doing that, I'd rather have the right part. So, question is, what is the difference between an early and late crossmember? Does anyone have a pic of each? Will using a late crossmember allow my T5 to bolt in?

So I have a spare crossmember, and an old rubber mount. I decided to hog the living shit out of the holes, and even slotted the trans as much as I could. Best I could do was force 3 bolts in, but no way no no how was a 4th going in. WTF? And I'm working in a fully equipped auto repair shop, on a hoist. I don't get it, there are millions of guys swapping their T5's for the 30A from a later car, I'm just doing the opposite, how come I've never read about this problem?

I am pretty sure you can use a later mount on your T5.
    Elitist Prick Black Z owner.
    1986 300zx Turbo
    2011 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x2 EcoBOOST
    1985 Toyota 4Runner, locked, lifted, geared, uglied.

What is actually different about it? I found another thread where somebody says they are dimensionally identical, but there are no photos provided, and no real proof. My local Z31 guy has been working on these cars since 1985, and swears up and down all year manual crossmembers are identical. Has anyone here actually had an 84-86 in one hand, and an 87-88 in the other hand? This is starting to piss me off.

Show us pics?

Working on pics right now. Obviously will just be pics of my 84 turbo crossmember, hopefully someone can compare them to a later one, as I've never seen an 87-88 manual crossmember.

Note the holes have been hogged out. I could go more, but I'm still probably 3/4" away from actually fitting, so I don't see it doing any good.

Attached files

I was hoping you had pics on the car where you were showing your fitment problem… the kouki bracket looks more or less identical, holes are slotted on one side already

I'm glad I stopped to read this post. I just measure my two transmissions; one a 90A and the a 30A. The distance from the engine bell housing interface to the transmission mount bolt holes is 25" for the 90A and 24.5 for the 30A. Not a big difference but when you are aligning bolt holes.

Also, thgere are three body mounting points for the crossmember and the crossmember I have is offset (front to back) by a 0.25. Meaning you have a half inch for adjustment just by rotating it 180 degrees.

So is there really a difference and how can one tell if they have the wrong/right crossmember?

That's some great info right there! Interesting to know that your crossmember is offset. Mine is not, it's symmetrical. I KNOW mine is an early one, I pulled it off my 84 turbo, myself. Could you snap some pics of the offset one that you have? Maybe the same type of pics that I posted of mine?

I used an 86na '71c mount to install the '30a in the 87… I modified it by removing the upper rubber isolator, I welded the mating plate to the dumbbell insert piece, cut off the counterweights, and installed poly (machined from the prothane tension rod bushings) to replace the round rubber bushings, but I centered the mount when I did the bushings/welding