Clutch Pedal Spring

• Clutch Pedal Spring

does the spring assist the pedal to depress or to return the pedal to the up position? My pedal randomly drops a couple inches, but easily returns up by pulling on it. Always shifts fine, and not losing fluid anywhere. I was about to replace the Clutch master cylinder and when I disconnect the pedal from the cylinder it drops to that lower position. So does that mean the CMC provides the return pressure? I'm lost so any help is appreciated

The pressure plate returns the pedal to its original position. If your pedal drops like you described the master or slave is letting fluid bleed by.
    The Herd
    85 z31 GLL N/A2T (7psi daily){Totaled 1-24-2012}
    85 z31 GL N/A2T slightly modified
    85 z31 GLL Turbo Kaminari converted to N/A
    85 z31 GLL Turbo (parted out)(scrapped)
    90 s13 se n/a (stock)Wife blew up the engine
    88 xj40/xj6 (stock) Yard Art
    88 Mighty Max
    99 WJ 4.7 Limited

Hydraulic pressure returns the pedal to its resting position. If you aren't losing fluid or having shifting trouble, the master cylinder is likely bypassing internally.
    5.3 LSx Z31

Thanks , I was assuming that was the case with a worn piston or seal since no leaks. It appears the spring does assist the pedal to the final up position but only after the MC /Hydraulics pushes it up past a certain point where the spring can engage it. That's my take on it

I'm having the same problem with my clutch and would love to know what the RELIABLE options are for a good master cylinder. Thanks.
    Everything is Meaningless.

I had the same issue a few months ago. No leaks/loss of fluid. I believe it maybe a seal in the MC leaking internal. Before I replaced the MC I adjusted the stroke on the MC with the push rod and it hasnt happened since. There is a limit to this adjustment. I increased the length of the rod by only a couple turns. My thought is the spring is getting weak and/or the hydraulic return maybe slower also. That said, cylinder is cheap but may not solve the problem.