Installing Speedometer Cable

• Installing Speedometer Cable

Hello All,
    I have been battling this speedometer cable for a while and have learned to deal with the "0" display but I have finally had enough. The cable is intact, and I do get a reading temporarily after tinkering with the cable by the tranny. My question is what is the proper way to diagnose/install after disconnecting cable on both ends? The cable seems that it is supposed to sit a certain way on both sides and I feel as though it slips out or I am not properly installing it. I am putting it in correctly with the notch at the tranny. Any help/tips would be much appreciated.
    -Fil

Adjust the cable so it has slack by the tranny. I had this issue for a while before giving the cable some slack. What it does is slightly pull the pin out and it stops reading. Once you have it set so it sits flush on the tranny side zip tie it to the tranny mount to hold it in place. Prepare for your cable to possibly break in 1/2 too. Mine showed both symptoms and after replacing with a new cable I haven't had an issue since.
    Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)