R200 LSD rebuild.... and a bit of a rant

• R200 LSD rebuild.... and a bit of a rant

rant.... so i had an r200 lsd with a bad bearing sitting around for years.. i snatched a new 3.7 gearset on ebay for 50 bucks or something incredibly cheap.. brought everything to a driveline shop in brooklyn who is supposedly the best around.. he changed one bearing for me and set the whole thing up.. i put it in my car and its the loudest thing i ever heard… drained the oil and it was full of metal after about 1/8th of a mile.. i brought it back to him and i was very calm.. i told him to take the whole thing apart, find out what was wrong and do it right.. he said he couldnt do it right away but he would do it first thing in the morning.. a week later he finally looked at it and found another bad bearing on the pinion.. it took him another 2 weeks to tell me that he could not find the bearing even after i brought him the nissan part numbers.. i have since picked up my differential (in pieces) from this asshole and found another shop to do the work.. what i just realized the other day is that he initially gave me the differential back with the front seal intact.. there is no way he could have gotten to the front bearings without removing (and destroying) the front seal.. so he screwed me over and never removed and checked the front bearings.. some rebuild that was.. end of rant…

so after picking this thing up i ordered and installed 6 new clutches from a guy who had them made on hybridz.og.. the lsd had 23 pound of breakaway torque.. after installing the new clutches and adding 3 .004" shims i measured the thing at about 60 pounds of breakaway. im pretty happy with that..

as for the bad bearings.. i said screw it and decided to change all of them.. i could not find anyone who could crossreference the part number on the actual bearings so i dished out like 350 bucks and ordered all 5 bearings from nissan.. the bearings are in the mail and should be here next week.

so im going to bring all of this stuff to a new shop who actually asked "is that an r200" when i mentioned that it was a rear from a 300zx. im assuming they may have some experience with them.. now here is my question.. as usual, most shops deal with ford 9 inch rears and other popular domestic stuff.. now ive read everything inside and out about how to rebuild this thing.. as far as setting this thing up, how different is it than a domestic rear end? is there anything i should mention to these guys when i bring it to them? are there steps that need to be taken that apply to the r200 that dont apply to domestic rears? if there is anything you think i should talk to these guys about please let me know..

just so all the local people know.. never go to KM driveline, 966 grand street in brooklyn.. if you are like me and get a kick out of getting drunk and making prank phone calls their number is 718 599 0622

With all the other work you do to your own cars, you haven't got into the rear end before? It's really no different than a rebuilding a domestic rear end