T-5 lubrication q's

• T-5 lubrication q's

installed 84T drivetrain in my Z a few weeks back. This is my first T-5. Not knowing any better, I filled it with standard gear oil (GL4/5 compatible) that is also a very heavy weight (90-145 iirc?). In the past, I've gone out randomly some nights and drifted for hours so I have stuck with thicker weights and just dealt with the transmission sometimes feeling stiff, like in colder weather. With this T-5 I can barely make a 1-2 shift and 3-2 down shifts are impossible. I've only put maybe 10 miles on the transmission since installed.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12329
    so after reading this thread^^^ I know the gear oil was a mistake.

1. When I replace the gear oil with ATF do I need to flush the transmission? If so how? Or is it simply drain and fill?
    2. The car has barely been driven with this gear oil in it. Can the gear oil damage any of the smaller parts or seals just by being in there and not being in use? Is this something to worry about if it's been in for less than a month?

I wrap my paper weights in glitter.

Re: T-5 lubrication q's

i cant comment on the effects of the gear oil on the internals, but regarding changing the fluid.... ATF is pretty cheap compared to gear oil. i would buy a box of the stuff and i would overfill the tranny by a quart, go for a short drive and drain it, and do that a couple times.. since there isnt an oil pump circulating oil through the case there really is no other option.

When I did it a had my tranny out, and I stood it up on its end for a few days then filled it and left it never had a problem.
    boost my anti drug/fuck that im addicted

drain, fill, drive, repeat.

figured that's pretty much all I could do.

any specific type or brand of ATF?

also, any comments on wether or not it's the thick ass gear oil being the reason why I can barely get it into second gear?

z

Benedict, I did the exact same to my own T5.
    Ended up using the same gear oil you have said in the above post. I drove like this for about 500-1500 miles and the transmission started making TONS of noise. Had to to send it out to get fixed and the transmission shop informed me not to ever use gear-oil anymore and only use approved Dexron III only.
    I went to autozone and bought the Red Valvoline ($3.69 each bottle) of ATF, filled it up, and have put over 1500 miles since then and going strong without a problem in sight!
    maybe thought you wanted my input, good luck!
    1SIKZ31 -86 SlickTop- R.I.P. 03/01/10 … Parted out :-(
    … New Project: LS1 Miata. Complete. 510whp. 2500lbs.
    1 Month Away from Rear Mount 76 --> 650-700whp.

^^^
    thanks.

car is still sitting with maybe 10 miles driven with the gear oil. hopefully it just sitting in the tranny won't affect it. should be taken care of this weekend. If it's ruined I still have my 87T trans.