Auto2Manual wiring-need a little help

• Auto2Manual wiring-need a little help

I'm in the middle of my auto2manual swap and I'm a little confused as to what to do about the wiring. The z31.com writeup says to "jump the Black/Yellow wire to the Red/Black (therefore grounding it) to start the engine". However, the Xenon writeup says to "jump the Black/Blue wire with the Red/Black to start the engine". I am installing the 5speed from my 84N/A into my 88N/A. The 84 unit does not have a neutral switch and I'm not worried about cruise control working as I've deleted it for the time being. My only other concern is that my backup lights work. This brings me to another inconsistency between the two writeups. Z31 says "Now connect the same B/R and the B/W wires to the reverse switch in the tranny and now your backup lights come on when ign is on and tranny is in reverse. Don't worry about the order of the 2 wires as the switch just connects the 2 leads together when in the proper gear". The Xenon writeup states: "If you want the reverse light to come on when you put the car in reverse, connect the blue wire from the reverse light switch on tranny side to the B/W wire on the inhibitor switch. Then connect the black wire (this is the ground wire) from the reverse light switch on tranny side to the B/R wire on the inhibitor switch. Z31 also states to use a turbo headlight washer switch if using a tranny without a neutral switch and connect the wires to it but do I need to do this since I'm not using cruise control? Also, I know this may be a long shot but would there be any way that the neutral switch on the 88N/A auto could just be swapped over to the 84N/A 5speed and if so would it even make things any easier? Any help that someone could provide to clear up these instructions for my specific application would be greatly appreciated. I've got all my parts and tools and this little wiring situation seems to be all that is keeping me from once again shifting gears. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I had some problems with this and I found a solution

I bypassed the Inhibitor Relay completely but suffer no reverse lights, personally I don't care, not one inspection shop have actually checked them, and I know people anyways.

As for your deal, the inhibitor switch is an 8 pin connector coming off the auto transmission, you will see all 8 connections within the plug.. Cut that plug off from the auto transmission and make sure you leave a good amount of wire.

Under the hood of the car is another 8 pin connector with all 8 connections inside of it, its the only 8 pin connector with all 8 contacts in it. Cross the correct wires on the tranny side (the plug you just got off the auto trans) and plug into the connector under the hood..

For me this did not work, I had a million people tell me it was right, so I said fuck it and bypassed it completely
    1989 300ZX 2+2 N/A GLL
    Auto to Manual Swap
    NA2T Complete

Thanks for the info, shady. I got it figured out and now the auto to manual swap is finally complete!! I'm shifting gears once again!!. I know I should have done it at the same time as the engine swap a while back but I was in a hurry and didn't want to make any more work than absolutely necessary. Everything went pretty smoothly except for the usual trying to get the tranny lined up and mounted onto the engine. Always takes a bit of patience. For anyone doing this swap or any job that requires removing the pilot bushing, I highly recommend using a "blind hole puller tool". You can rent one at Autozone for like about $150 deposit. It worked great for me. It took about 3 pulls on the slide hammer and that baby was outta there in no time!

Now on to the next project as soon as my financial situation allows:NA2T

I found this site very helpful. http://www.xenonz31.com/autotomanualswap.html
    Black 1986 300zx Turbo coupe (Chuki)
    http://z31performance.com/showthread…86-Turbo-Coupe
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pewter 1986 300zx N/A 2 Turbo 2+2 (Chuki)
    http://z31performance.com/showthread…9;s-1986-300zx

dont have auto tranny harness what do i do without the extra connector