Z31 Dyno with Nistune…issues.

• Z31 Dyno with Nistune…issues.

Not quite sure to put this, engine management, mechanical, hell, noob questions, whatever.

My relevant Z mods are pretty basic: NA2T, intercooler, walbro, 440cc injectors, HX35, Nistune, 3" CM exhaust, gutted plenum.

It's on the dyno today, getting tuned by a local shop that has experience with Nistune. I call the guy up for status, hoping I can pick it up this evening. He says he's just about done, but that he can't get it to rev over 5500 RPM. Okay…

I ask him, "so what are the numbers looking like so far?"

"About 270 HP, 290 for the torque."

Something has to be wrong, right? Shouldn't this setup be way higher?

Thoughts, please.

Boost level?
    Black 1986 300zx Turbo coupe (Chuki)
    http://z31performance.com/showthread…86-Turbo-Coupe
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pewter 1986 300zx N/A 2 Turbo 2+2 (Chuki)
    http://z31performance.com/showthread…9;s-1986-300zx

z car go;341088 wrote: Not quite sure to put this, engine management, mechanical, hell, noob questions, whatever.

My relevant Z mods are pretty basic: NA2T, intercooler, walbro, 440cc injectors, HX35, Nistune, 3" CM exhaust, gutted plenum.

It's on the dyno today, getting tuned by a local shop that has experience with Nistune. I call the guy up for status, hoping I can pick it up this evening. He says he's just about done, but that he can't get it to rev over 5500 RPM.
    Okay…

I ask him, "so what are the numbers looking like so far?"

"About 270 HP, 290 for the torque."

Something has to be wrong, right? Shouldn't this setup be way higher?

Thoughts, please.
    Well there is your first issue. The guy is saying he is about done, but knows he has problems with the car. Sounds like the guy is an idiot. I'd say go to the shop and diagnose the issues yourself. Always fully test everything before hitting the dyno. My biggest pet peeve is when I show up to dyno day and don't get on because other people have all these issues and stand there like durrrrr omg what am I doing. Fix your shit before you get on the dyno.
    Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

That's fine and good, I totally agree that everything should be fully checked before going to the dyno.

Let me say this: I did not build my car. Axel Kain, Kevin, did. E'rebody here has seen his posts and knows he knows the Z inside and out. When he tells me, "hey, it's ready for the dyno," I believe him.

shit numbers. something is wrong or he set base timing at 0? lol

My first indication is incorrect TP scales. Timing should have been at 10 or so. Although im not sure if they messed with it. Or matched it to nistune.

I've need messing with nistune stuff more often recently since jacqattack02's 86 na-t build.
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

My first indication is incorrect TP scales. Timing should have been at 10 or so. Although im not sure if they messed with it. Or matched it to nistune.

I've need messing with nistune stuff more often recently since jacqattack02's 86 na-t build.
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

Guys, about what #s should he be getting? I only ask since I'll have similar mods done by the time I go to dyno (even though I'll be lower compression with) :P

Over 300 hp at least. My guess would be around 350 @ 13 psi, maybe slightly less with around 380 tq.

just for comparison:

hx35 is similar to the he351 hybrid turbo I have on my car, except my comp wheel is 4mm larger.

at your 13psi, i can almost guarantee you that it should be making more than 270whp (but since I commented on TJ's build that his numbers were slightly lower than usual, people didn't like hearing it and got sand in their vaginas over it- I am not saying it's 100% fact).

My neighbour has an s13 with an SR20 @ 14psi or so, and I've experienced and played with his car quite a couple of times… Enough to experience and gauge improvements we make to the vehicle like small boost leak fixes or exhaust valve cutouts and such. It's a solid 250-260whp vehicle at that boost level with the recent small mods made.

And my car would shit all over his car at 9-10psi, and our z31's are slightly heavier.

You either have a serious boost leak, serious blow by, or serious timing issues. If he's dyno tuned it and said it's close to ready- I doubt it's a fuel issue, your AFR's might be "tuned" properly… but the timing might be way low and not being taken advantage of. This is something a tuner would normally do on the first couple of runs anyways… They play with timing usually after fuel.

300zxturboftw;341112 wrote: Over 300 hp at least. My guess would be around 350 @ 13 psi, maybe slightly less with around 380 tq.
    on an hx35 with our motors you're looking at closer to 16-18psi for 350whp judging by what people have gotten here… But some numbers seem to have been better than others…

the dyno is a heart breaker anyways. I would say my vg33 is close to 280whp at 9psi, and the turbo hasn't even lit up yet at those boost levels.

also, 290 for a torque figure is ABYSMAL for these motors. with 270hp and an hx35 you should be making something like 320-340ft lbs. at 13psi. I would say 320 is a very safe bet as a minimum. A higher number would not be surprising at all.

what's your elevation?

Careless;341119 wrote:
    what's your elevation?
    Lol, unless you're talking about my elevation above sea level, Axel Kain is going to have to answer the technical questions. I know, I suck at cars.

Elevation would be pretty much sea level.
    Prius… because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car…

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

z car go;341121 wrote: Lol, unless you're talking about my elevation above sea level, Axel Kain is going to have to answer the technical questions. I know, I suck at cars.
    Well, you pretty much found your answer. You should be making more power. Time to go fix issues on the car and re-dyno it.