MSD Blaster 2 coil

• MSD Blaster 2 coil

Has anyone here swapped out their original coil for a MSD Blaster 2? I just purchased one and I feel like a jackass because i'm not entirely sure how to install it…I'm assuming you need a positive lead coming from the distributor and then negative to ground it. The part that is screwing me up is that there is only one lead going from dist. to the original coil. Am I supposed to just run + to distributor and run a - to any ground? any help here please. Thank you!!!
    You can polish a turd....but in the end, it's still a piece of shit

What's up with your stock connector? Did you lose it?
    http://z31performance.com/showthread…2-2-(-now-NA2T
    My build thread (:

Pretty sure the primary positive is IGN powered, the negative goes to your ignitor. The secondary (the coil wire) goes to the distributor.
    BLOZ UP.com
    It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

There is a 2 wire plug at the coil. Those are the primary leads (check the FSM to see which is which).

I don't recall reading that the stock coil ever becomes an issue. Unless the stock coil has failed, I'd suggest returning that MSD coil.
    5.3 LSx Z31

It "feels" like I can run higher gap at high boost with my MSD coil. That could be my low compression engine though. It's rated at a higher voltage, anyhow.
    BLOZ UP.com
    It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

i r teh noobz;344190 wrote: There is a 2 wire plug at the coil. Those are the primary leads (check the FSM to see which is which).

I don't recall reading that the stock coil ever becomes an issue. Unless the stock coil has failed, I'd suggest returning that MSD coil.
    I'm already over 6k invested into a block up, fully forged internals/high hp-boost build. I'd like to have to assurance and power of an MSD coil. I know theres a couple people on here using one as I've seen from pictures. Theres only 1 wire going from my coil to dist. '88-'89 z31s looks like there is a plastic connector on your coil. This is not the case for me…I'll grab some pictures and repost shortly of what I'm working with

Umm, are you sure you're looking at the right connectors? The only wires I know of that go from the coil to the distributor is the one that carries the spark, and the little thin single wire that helps with noise reduction. There should be a separate 2 wire connectors that is part of the harness that goes into the fender that actually powers the coil.
    Prius… because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car…

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

So heres my coil. The only connections I have are the terminal for the plug wire to feed to the dist, and a male 2 prong spade connector. Are you talking about the connectors on the left and right? to me they don't appear to have any connections supplying the coil and the only thing run into them are vacuum lines so I'm assuming they are sensors…I could be wrong though. That top connection I have no idea wtf that is nor does it appear to have any connection to the coil....again maybe I'm wrong.
    So here is the male two prong connection on the coil but…
    here is the receiving connection. Another male 1 prong. I don't understand why/how nissan would use male to male connections unless it was sandwiched in between the two but that still seems a little inefficient to me.
    This whole situation has been very frustrating to me because It's such a small task to do. I hope this provides a little bit more insight as to what I am working with…

jaqattack02;344379 wrote: Umm, are you sure you're looking at the right connectors? The only wires I know of that go from the coil to the distributor is the one that carries the spark, and the little thin single wire that helps with noise reduction. There should be a separate 2 wire connectors that is part of the harness that goes into the fender that actually powers the coil.

I did this a looooong time ago I have my MSD Blaster coil connected using the Green as (+)
    and Blue as (-) ​I'll get some pics for you.

wow....I feel like a complete idiot. So however long ago when I sandblasted my engine bay I shoved both of those connectors back into the fender and the grommet got painted over white. I had no idea that was even there but when I read that it goes into the fender I looked around and managed to pull out, what do ya know, a female 2 prong spade connector and a female single prong connector....WOW that's magic! Pictures are not needed anymore Joe, but thank you. I'll use your info to hook it up the right way. Sorry to everyone how my stupidity caused this thread but we're all good now. Thanks guys!

LOL it happens to all of us, I take tons of before pictures with everything labeled as a reference.

Just to be clear. Green wire go's to posi on coil and blue to neg on coil? I'd like to see the pics please.
    THE ONE AND ONLY AE 2JZ Z31 IN THE WORLD

Originally posted by Returned Z31 Lover
    Just to be clear. Green wire go's to posi on coil and blue to neg on coil? I'd like to see the pics please.
    Yes, thats correct. Blue runs T'd into the PTU, which is the trigger.

The stock coil has proven itself for 500+hp though....
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Had a spark leak the other day because somehow the coil wire was barely on the coil, this was after a car meet I was at so I think some idiot was messing with it but the spark leak burned and melt away some of the coil. I just took this as an opportunity to upgrade, has the ss blaster on my last z31 and loved it. Ordered one again last night it also takes up less space then the stock coil so it works out.
    THE ONE AND ONLY AE 2JZ Z31 IN THE WORLD

The stock coil is a tiny compact modern coil. MSD Blaster 2s are huge cylinder coils, old style....the stocker takes up way less space…this is why I'll be swapping the 280ZXT to a Z31 coil. lol
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -