The "right" ECU for Nistune

• The "right" ECU for Nistune

I have an 84Turbo (5spd, manual, federal) that I am looking to buy Nistune for in due time. Now, according to this link http://redz31.net/pages/fuel.html I am running a Zirconium o2 sensor. Also stated is "Titania-type oxygen sensors are not compatible with zirconium type".

Just to verify then, that the best possible ECU to get for Nistune for my car would be an 87 Non turbo? It remains a low impedance, has a zirconium 02 sensor and doesn't require me to do resistors (which I don't want to do if I can avoid it, just one more thing to go wrong).

I understand that 88-89 ECUs are the best for Nistuning purposes due to ease of install, but I know Autovaughn can do it on others as well.

Thanks for the non snarkish replies, guys.

If you are planning on keeping your stock injectors, then yes, the 87 would be best for you.
    But if you are keeping stock injectors, then why would you get Nistune?

I figure if anyone is going to get Nistune, you are going to get different injectors. At that point, just chose your injectors as high impedance.

As far as O2, if you care about it.... yeah, you would need to change to match the ECU.
    I personally don't run an O2 sensor. I know many here don't either.

For a 84-85 turbo, a 87NA ECU would probably be best. Uses the same type of O2 sensor, for low impedance injectors and simply and reliable. I'd avoid using 84-85 ECUs at all costs because they're far more primitive.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Originally posted by amreboot View Post

I figure if anyone is going to get Nistune, you are going to get different injectors. At that point, just chose your injectors as high impedance.

As far as O2, if you care about it.... yeah, you would need to change to match the ECU.
    I personally don't run an O2 sensor. I know many here don't either.
    Do such thing as low impedance injectors with higher CC flow rates exist? Or is this (low impedance injectors) a thing of the past?

Changing the ECU to a 88/89 NA would require the need for high impedance injectors, but still allows me to maintain the existing Zirconium O2 sensor. If I DO go the route of high impedance injectors, will switching out the ECU (to one that naturally deals with high impedance injectors) be sufficient, or would I still be looking into getting resistors as well?

Yes, you can buy low impedance high flow injectors.

I buy my injectors from Five0 Motorsports
    http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/asian…uel-injectors/

I run high impedance injectors on an 87NA ECU on my 87NA2T car. Since the ECU is equipped to drive high current into a low resistance load, it naturally drives high impedance superior to even the 88-89 type.
    Lo Z injectors are faster and if you look at latency settings in Nistune you will see the difference (Since all the maps are there). It requires the proper interface if an injector is to function properly, which is why I don't subscribe to jacking on wire wound or any kind of resistors to it.
    Nistune needs to interface really well to the injectors if the car is to idle stably and maintain AFR's along with other things.
    Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
    if it fails, fuck it.
    at least you gave it a whirl.

So what would you recommend I do Augustus? Not sure I followed everything you said. You have a low imp ECU but run high imp injectors?

If you want to have your 02 sensor, be able to run any type of injector properly, then 87NA is your only choice. Without messing with EFI harness and sensor bung.
    Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
    if it fails, fuck it.
    at least you gave it a whirl.

I wanted the knock sensor from the Turbo ECU, but it seems that I would have to get a different O2 and bung. No thanks.

Originally posted by Filipe View Post
    I wanted the knock sensor from the Turbo ECU, but it seems that I would have to get a different O2 and bung. No thanks.
    Gotta pay to play, man.

I would never use an 84-85 for Nistune.
    86's are just a pain to Nistune.

87+

Not a money thing. It's a "just one more spot for things to go wrong" thing, as mentioned earlier.

I'm not that experienced…so yeah. And I prefer to do my own work when and where possible.

The turbo ECU knock sensor only functions below 3000rpm anyways. Its practically useless.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Originally posted by Filipe View Post
    Not a money thing. It's a "just one more spot for things to go wrong" thing, as mentioned earlier.

I'm not that experienced…so yeah. And I prefer to do my own work when and where possible.
    If its not a money thing, then whats the problem with swapping the o2 and the bung?
    These 2 things can be done by yourself.

Yeah, heard that a few times. Guess I'm too hardheaded. SO who's selling a 87NA ECU?!

Just out of curiosity, Filipe, why are you concerned about the o2 sensor?
    All Z31's are emission exempt in CT.

86na w/o o2
    88T w/o o2