Ecu swap

• Ecu swap

I'm currently in process of building a vg30e engine and havnt really gotten too far besides taken it apart. My current ecu is from a 1985 NA zx and the engine I have is 1986 NA zx… Once this build is done it's going to have completely differnt internals and injectors with a turbo so my ecu won't be allowing this engine to run at its best. My question is should I go with an 1987 300zx ecu and get a nis tune on it or what should I do? Correct me if I'm wrong anywhere along these lines as I'm fairly new with tuning on these cars and have only knowledge of what I've read on forums… Thanks in advance

You could put Nistune in any of the above ECUs and be fine. You'll want to match your ECU up to the injectors you're planning to use, so you need to find out if they are going to be high or low impedance. 84-87 ECUs are low, 88-89 are high. 88-89 are also already socketed, so they are a little easier to do the install, but if you send your ECU out to someone like Autovaugh they'll do the Nistune install for an extra $50. I'd get in touch with them when you're ready to purchase. Also, go here and read read read http://nistune.com/
    Prius… because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car…

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

How about having a 88 high imp ecu with low imp injectors, would it be better to run the 87 low imp ecu over droping the resistors ? I'm not seeing too many high imp injectors under 700cc ..

Personally, I'd match the ecu to the injectors if i had the choice.
    Prius… because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car…

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

Thanks for the response, A little more background, I have a mild bore, 8.5:1, port&polish heads\intake, stage 3 colt cams, stock T3, z32afm,12psi, denso 460cc low imp, Dayton 10 Ohm 10W, 88 ecu w/nistune… it runs well enough to drive and boost however it does randomly have super lean or rich temper tantrums , I'm personally am not a fan of the resistors.. so, I do have an 87 ecu in my hands that I can chip to run the 460's properly.. Or Am I able to run 1000cc high imp inj with my stock turbo until I can get the larger turbo on.. I would prefer High imp injectors, just afraid 1000cc may drown with out more air.

You can not run high imp ecu on low imp injectors. Low imp ecu doesnt care.
    good work isnt cheap and cheap work isnt good