gutted maxima intakes

• gutted maxima intakes

Ok, so I see this like three times a month "if only some one made a gutted maxima intake" but most of the people saying this haven't looked into or tried fitting one onto their car. I see ZERO advantage to these having gutted a few myself and made them fit onto our lower intakes. They don't just bolt on like everyone says they do; not without making crazy clearance on the intake itself and upper coolant outlet. The volume of this intake is also a third less of the stock z31 plenum which has not been proven a restriction in making big power. Granted gutting either of these manifolds help tremendously due to the increased volume and if gutted correctly increased air speed. With a z31 intake you still have an attractive factory looking setup that performs better than stock without a cobbled together looking front entry with multiple welds and cuts like the maxima intakes. The amount of work and time into one of these things could be better spent on a front entry intake designed entirely out of sheet metal(SATANS) or a pathfinder intake which has actual advantages (longer runners= more torque) and still looks like its meant to be there. I have seen some nice maxima intake setups over the years but I haven't seen any one say exactly why they did it other than shorter intake piping........which to me isn't a power advantage but more of a ever so slightly minuscule increase of response time.

maybe its just me and maybe I am little biased towards stock z31 intakes, pathfinder intakes, or the dual log style intakes that actually from a performance stand point affect how the car behaves. idk? Anybody, do any real world testing on an actual engine?
    "Its the s12's sexy over weight step daughter, the z31"

No actual testing here but the main reason most people go for front entry manifolds is to provide space for piping when running a relocated turbo.
    Bolt on, fast, z31. You can only pick two.
    Old weaksauce numbers: 391hp/433tq

Matt89 wrote: No actual testing here but the main reason most people go for front entry manifolds is to provide space for piping when running a relocated turbo.
    Ah, didnt think about that but I would still think a satan manifold or a pathy intake would be easier to make work.

Matt89 wrote: No actual testing here but the main reason most people go for front entry manifolds is to provide space for piping when running a relocated turbo.
    This was my reason for running the Maxima intake. Only one cut and weld on the intake. I was able to use part of the elbow and TB flange from the stock 300z intake with the throttle cable mounts so it was super cheap and easy. No coolant neck modifications here but it is close.

I think the main reason no one runs a custom intake is because of cost.

i like front facing intakes because half of the engine isn't smothered by an intake, and you can service lifters very easy, and it just makes the engine look a lot better when it's symetrical (at least for me, anyway).

also, if I do happen to mount a turbo relocated up to the front ahead of the driver side engine mount, my total intercooler piping will be less than 20 inches. that would negate the lag induced by the large intercooler.

so if I am going to pay for any intake, it has to be a front facing one.

The elbow and the entry into the stock plenum are aweful

Maxima front entry intake can greatly reduce piping, which can lead to more than just "slightly miniscule" gains.

Maxima intake can still use a VG plenum cover and look fairly stock unless botched.

Fabbing it to turn the TB down to fit is much less work than fabricating a proper sheet metal intake.

Fitting isn't as hard as you make it sound. When I fit one on my car, the only thing I had to move was the FPR, which is as easy as using longer fuel hose and finding a place to mount it. Naturally this is with emissions/idle controls removed.

Handjob order is Z31 -> Pathy -> Maxima -> Custom, so if you have a Z31 intake, and you move to a maxima, you increase handjob income.
    1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

pics of your install?

I have a gutted maxima intake on my z because of the relocated turbo. I didnt want to run the ic pipe right over the hot side of the turbo. Plus i think it looks cleaner than the z intake.

[attachment=2:2rzkb029]IMG_1620.JPG[/attachment:2rzkb029]

[attachment=1:2rzkb029]IMG_1618.JPG[/attachment:2rzkb029]

[attachment=0:2rzkb029]IMG_1616.JPG[/attachment:2rzkb029]
    86na2t + holset

feedback
    viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6114&hilit=andrew+gardner

OK85ZX wrote: The elbow and the entry into the stock plenum are awefulNot true, and was proven so by engloids old flow data. It isn't much different than the turn down on the maxi intake.

OK85ZX wrote: Maxima front entry intake can greatly reduce piping, which can lead to more than just "slightly miniscule" gains.Its not going to be as significant as you make it sound. I had two different piping setups on a vg30et powered pickup one utilizing the stock z31 intake and the other using a pathy. Were talking maybe 18-20" of length difference total and response difference that wasn't even noticable. I think if we were talking several feet sure but not less than two feet.

OK85ZX wrote: Maxima intake can still use a VG plenum cover and look fairly stock unless botched.Which most are, and like I have said only a few on here have been done well.

OK85ZX wrote:
    Fabbing it to turn the TB down to fit is much less work than fabricating a proper sheet metal intake.
    I agree, but the performance gain isn't there like it is with a properly designed sheet metal intake to help with equal cylinder filling, proper volume, and looks better. IMO

OK85ZX wrote:
    Fitting isn't as hard as you make it sound. When I fit one on my car, the only thing I had to move was the FPR, which is as easy as using longer fuel hose and finding a place to mount it. Naturally this is with emissions/idle controls removed.
    Its possible I might not have had gaskets underneath my LIM when I test fitted one of the gutted ones? It hit my upper coolant neck though that was for sure and I stopped right there. I was like "wtf is so great about this manifold?" You still have to cut the egr flange flush with the manifold to clear the dizzy.

OK85ZX wrote:
    Handjob order is Z31 -> Pathy -> Custom -> Maxima, so if you have a Z31 intake, and you move to a maxima, you increase handjob income.
    Lol! I fixed^

I guess I really didn't think about all the folks running SATANs relocate manifold and that being the largest factor here. I am going to revisit this and finish the two I have done now with some final test fits over the next few weeks. Watch the z31 networking section over the next few weeks.

Gardner, hows the car running? STILL dont here much from you about how you like the he351, lol! I finally got mine to start spooling before 3k now and its a whole other animal at times. Much happier with it now!

OK85ZX wrote: Handjob order is Z31 -> Pathy -> Maxima -> Custom, so if you have a Z31 intake, and you move to a maxima, you increase handjob income.
    http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/8710/img2161f.jpg

in that case… 8) lol.

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

Its possible I might not have had gaskets underneath my LIM when I test fitted one of the gutted ones? It hit my upper coolant neck though that was for sure and I stopped right there. I was like "wtf is so great about this manifold?" You still have to cut the egr flange flush with the manifold to clear the dizzy.
    I have z31parts intake spacer under my maxima intake. That may be why i had less problems with clearance with the coolant neck? I never tried it without the spacer. I had to swap out the dizzy because the tps would hit the number 1 spark plug wire and i could not turn the dizzy.

nismopu- the z is getting tuned in the spring. I cant what to see what this turbo really has.
    86na2t + holset

feedback
    viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6114&hilit=andrew+gardner

I love your intake DZ! Talk about volume, lol!

nismopu wrote: I love your intake DZ! Talk about volume, lol!
    Yeah it's great as long as you don't have to change a spark plug or mess with injectors.... lol.

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

The turn down on the maxima intake is usually a smooth transition from a pipe elbow, whereas the dropoff after the elbow on the stock intake is sudden and large as soon as air enters the box. Z31 guys from Japan cut this section out and weld in a quarterish section of pipe that makes it a transition instead of a dropoff. Engloid presented flow data that says this dropoff didn't hurt performance?

I guess if shortening piping doesn't help then we should all just use rear remote mount turbo setups

Obviously a sheet metal intake would be better, but you are missing the Z31 factor. Maxima intake is much cheaper to modify and use than a sheet metal intake for most people.

I did forget about the EGR hole, but that's a simple weld fill, nothing major there either. I had no clearance issues with a water pipe.

Careless wrote: pics of your install?
    I didn't take any pics, it was just a quick weekend thing when I was bored in my early days of college. I had one sitting around and just wanted to see for myself if lowering the engine could allow it to clear. I was using mega uber custom hockey pucks for engine mounts letting the engine sit as low as it could. I removed the FPR, widened the two rail pieces that stick out slightly, pulled the dist cap off, and it bolted on.
    1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

heres the maxima one on my new car is not gutted though. (yes i am aware i need a intercooler and bov i have them both in my garage and have mocked them up once but not finaled on where i want to route the piping.

86 NA
    87 Turbo
    Member of the "zetto sun-ichi" group

Local MN car forum/club anyone welcome..... fivezeroseven.net join!