Surge tank absolutely necessary with external fuel pump?

• Surge tank absolutely necessary with external fuel pump?

Picked up a fuel cell and will be running an external pump (VG30'd S30). Was wondering if a surge tank is absolutley necessary? I've done minimal research on this so please excuse my ignorance, haven't had a ton of time to scour the interwebz for specific details. Cell will have the foam insert to prevent slosh if that matters.

No it is not.
    Hmmm, Whats next?
    Full Size Bronco, smashing shit.

84ZXT

Is it plastic or metal?
    All you'll most likely need is a bulkhead fitting.
    Why a fuel cell though?
    You can just weld a sump to the stock tank.
    Shiro #443

Plastic Summit 8 gal cell. Yeah, I could weld a sump in but don't really want to for numerous reasons:
    1) cutting out spare tire well anyway for exhaust clearance
    2) 35 year old fuel tank, pretty nasty inside I'm sure
    3) prolly more effort to weld it than just fab the cell in

Motor is gonna be a VG30et w/ minor bolt ons, usual 250-ish hp nothing too crazy.

you can make your own. do you have the original fuel pump? You just need it to fill a smaller cylinder, and have a return line go back to the larger tank return.

original pump fills small tank.
    high flow pump fills injectors.

you will not outflow the small pump if it's continuously pumping gas into the small cylinder (surge tank). Just use a high volume low pressure pump.

A lot of people use surge tanks with the STOCK tank because the baffling sucks. Not needed on an aftermarket one.
    BLOZ UP.com
    It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.