Turbonetics + oil leaking

• Turbonetics + oil leaking

So I have this fancy pants Turbonetics Turbo. T3/T04E. It leaks a drip or two of oil every time I start up cold. After the oil gets up to temp it appears to stop. I thought it was just the feed or drain, but I have seen to it that those don't leak a bit. Using 10/40 oil at the moment. I just see a drip forming on the bottoms of both the compressor and turbine housings. Also tends to get on the outside of the drain tube.

It's annoying.

According to their troubleshooting guide, this is normal (?!)

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/troubleshooting

Anyone have one where this is considered "normal"? If this just a Turbonetics thing I'll be sure to not get another Turbonetics in the future.
    BLOZ UP.com
    It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

Yeah, some turbonetics leak/burn oil on start up. I've heard a lot of people complain about that. It could be an oil seal though.
    Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

Yeah, I quit liking the Turbonetics turbo's right around the time they introduced the GTK line. Not that this incident has anything to do with that, but it helps.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.

I have been told by all of the locals that this is normal for the journal bearing non GTK lines.
    Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
    Originally posted by BoostedMamma
    Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

Pretty sure it's BB. Their website said check for shiny thing up in oil drain. I saw shiny thing.
    BLOZ UP.com
    It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

BLOZ UP wrote: Pretty sure it's BB. Their website said check for shiny thing up in oil drain. I saw shiny thing.
    Don't BB turbo's require smaller, or depending how you look at it, bigger restrictor in the oil feed line, ie less flow?

EDIT: I mean than that of a journal.

It wouldn't make sense to have a restrictor on the drain side… That would pressurize the CHRA.
    Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
    Originally posted by BoostedMamma
    Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

[quote]Racinjitter wrote: It wouldn't make sense to have a restrictor on the drain side… That would pressurize the CHRA.

NissanXRMA wrote:
    Originally posted by BLOZ UP
    Pretty sure it's BB. Their website said check for shiny thing up in oil drain. I saw shiny thing.
    Don't BB turbo's require smaller, or depending how you look at it, bigger restrictor in the oil feed line, ie less flow?

EDIT: I mean than that of a journal.

I have the inline oil screen on the feed, and a -4 feed line....

I will have to check to see if the oil screen thing has a restrictor. I didn't know they needed restrictors--although I know I've heard about it before now that I think about it. I don't see Turbonetics' website saying anything about it.

I also need to get my PCV working. Right now it's kind of ghetto.
    BLOZ UP.com

I do have a restrictor. Must be the seals.
    BLOZ UP.com

May not be the right size restrictor.
    Hmmm, Whats next?
    Full Size Bronco, smashing shit.

84ZXT

That's true. But I've heard as many "don't use oil restrictors on BB turbos" as "you have to use one".

Either way I think I'll take the housings off and see what's what.
    BLOZ UP.com

fix your pcv. it caused my car to drip/burn oil when i restricted it with an air filter from a compressor line. it just didnt have large enough holes at the filter passage. it was causing oil to not recede from the drain fast enough.

difference was night and day when it was fixed.

I am working on it right now.

Before: Passenger side vented, driver's side plumbed to PCV to intake.

After: Both sides plumbed to catch can, catch can plumbed to pre-turbo.

And I'm just going to plumb my gas tank vent to the catch can. Or is that a bad idea?
    BLOZ UP.com

Stock gas tank vent works for most everyone here just fine. I wouldn't go through the hassle to do that.
    Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)