Turbo relocation and corner balance

• Turbo relocation and corner balance

Here is a background on the idea for better corner balance with a turbo VG30:
    This morning I was swapping over the passenger side Stance coilover strut assembly to my new Zed, an '84 NA Slicktop and I noticed how drastically different I had adjusted the two side's ride height for the '87 turbo Zed it came off of. The passenger side was about 8-9 full rotations shorter than the driver side, much more than I had initially expected.

I am planning on doing an autocross event in April and was going to swap a turbo VG into the slicktop; now I'm not so sure. Last year the event was held on a very small slow speed course that gave my turbo 2+2 car quite a disadvantage. As I was planning for the event this year I chose to use the slicktop 2 seater I just purchased due to shorter wheel base etc. and swap in the turbo motor; but due to the amount of work and the balance issues it will stay NA for now.

For future plans I am thinking about a way to mount the turbo on the passenger side. The stock manifold has performed very well with my twin scroll HX35 and I would love to keep the divided setup while switching to passenger side mounted turbo. I am aware that our turbo cars have a pretty terrible corner balance and this would really help combat it. I am pondering how this could be done without fabrication of tubular manifolds. Wondering if anyone has ideas as to accomplish this without having to fabricate both sides. Are there any VG powered vehicles that have the crossover design opposite from our Zs? Oil lines would be on the wrong side so that would need to be dealt with as well as the TB would be on the wrong side unless using a early Maxima upper plenum and IC. What other issues would there be besides these that I have mentioned? Do you think this would be worth the trouble?

i dont think it will be worth the trouble. i just now went and looked at the clearance. if you move stock turbo mani to pass side, you will need a relocation pipe and you will need to cut the hood and maybe the strut tower. do a downstream turbo…

The turbo is the least of your worries for corner balancing. You're looking at maybe 10 lbs weighted on one side. 9 full rotation difference on your coils too? That seems drastic. You can just corner balance the car with 4 industrial scales anyhow.
    Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

Originally posted by THEBEAST
    i dont think it will be worth the trouble. i just now went and looked at the clearance. if you move stock turbo mani to pass side, you will need a relocation pipe and you will need to cut the hood and maybe the strut tower. do a downstream turbo…
    There wouldn't be any requirement to cut the hood or the strut tower at all lol. Yes a relocation pipe would need made and then the power steering would I BELIEVE need to be converted to manual steering rack unless you wanted to fab up a bracket for your power steering pump to sit lower on the fender and out of the way where the turbo would end up being.
    Build Log Link: http://z31performance.com/showthread…-VG33-HX35-WIP

Originally posted by 300zxturboftw
    The turbo is the least of your worries for corner balancing. You're looking at maybe 10 lbs weighted on one side. 9 full rotation difference on your coils too? That seems drastic. You can just corner balance the car with 4 industrial scales anyhow.
    There must be other things affecting the drastic height difference I had going on. I have an idea of what it was.

Besides driver, AC compressor and turbo what would be the greatest concern for corner balancing? Keep in mind I have completely gutted the interior minus dash.

this idea is ridiculous.

when in doubt....throttle out.

Yeah thinking out of the box can be ridiculous. Wrong place for it here. Feel free to close this thread my thinking has moved forward.

Did you check and see if anything is bent? Get a professional alignment and corner balance done.

The vg30 is so damned heavy by itself the turbo weight is negligible. Why make more work for yourself that wont solve your problem at all?
    vg30'd s13 in progress. Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.

^ not relevant to this thread. Please stick to advertising in the For Sale section ONLY.
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

I'm sorry you confused my reference with advertising. He said he was wanting to relocate.

Originally posted by Lp570-4
    I'm sorry you confused my reference with advertising. He said he was wanting to relocate.
    And you put a link to your product. Did you read it? He stated he wanted to relocate the turbo on the passenger side. Unless you designed yours to work on both sides (lol), your advertising is irrelevant.
    Build Log Link: http://z31performance.com/showthread…-VG33-HX35-WIP

Originally posted by slammedfc
    Did you check and see if anything is bent? Get a professional alignment and corner balance done.

The vg30 is so damned heavy by itself the turbo weight is negligible. Why make more work for yourself that wont solve your problem at all?
    Nothing appeared to be bent but i did temporarily have mismatched control arms, which was the major issue. Then I had adjusted my v2 RCA's (the ones that can slide in and out) to compensate and I think compounded the imbalance. Had an alignment done previously and the castor was off by a good margin as well. I'll be measuring everything on that car before it's back on the road to make sure the frame is straight.

One day I will go hybrid Z31. I may make my own manifolds and go front mount turbo if I run out of other things to work on. MR20DE compound turbo would be something interesting and super light (forgot CVT, no way). VQ seems the way to go except for the expense of such an endeavor. LSX is of course the common thinking for hybrid Z.

Originally posted by zdriver_kado
    Nothing appeared to be bent but i did temporarily have mismatched control arms, which was the major issue. Then I had adjusted my v2 RCA's (the ones that can slide in and out) to compensate and I think compounded the imbalance. Had an alignment done previously and the castor was off by a good margin as well. I'll be measuring everything on that car before it's back on the road to make sure the frame is straight.

One day I will go hybrid Z31. I may make my own manifolds and go front mount turbo if I run out of other things to work on. MR20DE compound turbo would be something interesting and super light (forgot CVT, no way). VQ seems the way to go except for the expense of such an endeavor. LSX is of course the common thinking for hybrid Z.
    VQs are stupid cheap and readily available at just about any junkyard these days....
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

There are many hidden costs involved with the VQ swap. I have helped do this particular swap with a friend and would love to have one myself but he swears he would go another route next time. Oil pan and many other small bits need to be sorted before you can see the light at the end of a long tunnel. There are more fitment and driveability problems than you will expect. That being said it can be a really fun project if you want something challenging. Tempting cause it's hard to beat the VQ as far as power/weight. It is also compact but very tall which causes many headaches for a Z31.