Turbo rebuild

• Turbo rebuild

So Ive rebuilt a turbo before but does anyone know how to tell what rebuild kit to get for the T3? Thanks

Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

Okay thanks for the site. I know these turbos are carbon sealed but is their a way to tell if its a 2 or 4 piece kit without taking it apart?

It's the 1 piece carbon encapsulated seal. It can also be converted to dynamic seal by swapping the back plate. Thus be free to use the vastly cheaper and more available kits.
    Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
    if it fails, fuck it.
    at least you gave it a whirl.

Alright so no matter what year turbo its the 1 piece kit and do i stick with the 270 degree or the 360 degree thrust bearing? Also to my knowledge Garret doesn't balance their turbos as a unit. So i can just get the shaft and propellers balanced rather then everything thing am i correct?

From the site that was linked:

Kit #1: 1-Piece Encapsulated Carbon Seal
    -Nissan 300zx '84-'85

Kit #2: 4-Piece Carbon Seal
    -Nissan 300zx '85.5-'87

I would assume that the 1-piece is for the oil cooled T3s and the 4-piece is for the water cooled T3s by the dates given.

Things like 360 degree thrust bearing and step gap turbine seal will improve performance. You only need to balance the turbine and compressor wheel and this is only necessary if you didn't mark the compressor wheel in relation to the turbine before you pulled it.
    http://shop.midwestturboconnection.c…ancing_c22.htm
    Cha iro

if it fails, fuck it.

Okay i see now. I need the 4 piece because i do have a water and oil cooled T3. Thanks for that, ill also look at what year the turbo is to be sure. And as far as the 360 degree thrust bearing and step gap turbine seal go is their any modifications need to be done to the turbo for it to fit? Or do you just slap on? Ive tried to do research on this but i cant find much besides that the 360 degree bearing giving better oil flow. As far as balancing i was going to just mark the turbo up and do with out balancing like i have on the t25 and have had no issues. It depends on how things look when i dig into the turbo. Thanks for the site referral for the rebuild shop i appreciate it.

When I disassembled by water cooled T3 I don't recall seeing a 4 piece seal.
    Cha iro

if it fails, fuck it.

Originally posted by soysauce300zx
    Alright so no matter what year turbo its the 1 piece kit and do i stick with the 270 degree or the 360 degree thrust bearing? Also to my knowledge Garret doesn't balance their turbos as a unit. So i can just get the shaft and propellers balanced rather then everything thing am i correct?
    Garrett ALWAYS balances their CHRA's. if you paint mark the shaft and compressor wheel to each other before disassembly, you should be ok.
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

After it came back from Midwest, notice dynamic seal

Notice mark on turbine and compressor wheel

Pretty eBay CHRA happily blowing up clutches and giving me traction issues

Now I can use any dynamic seal rebuild kit.
    Cha iro

if it fails, fuck it.

Swapped the back plate and CHRA

So pretty

One moar

Goodbye.
    Cha iro

if it fails, fuck it.