Engine cut out during hard pullls

• Engine cut out during hard pullls

87 300zx turbo, currently 330hp at the wheels.
    Cars been worked on for about 10 years, last
    year, finally got the car turned, runs great, but
    sometimes the engine cuts out. I'll have to pay
    attention and perhaps hook up my nistune and
    do some data logging. Any thoughts as to what
    might be causing this would be appreciated or
    at least where to look.

More info would be helpful. What do you mean by "cuts out"? Turns off altogether? Stumbles and loses power?
    Prius… because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car…

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

all the idiot lights turn on and the engine is off.
    one tidbit, there is a known back pressure issue
    with the existing turbo. that's why I'm only
    hitting 330hp at the wheel - to be replaced
    later this summer.

Something harness related, either a main hot wire or ground is becoming disconnected or shorting…

Check the alternator harness and battery cables/terminals, is your battery even tied down?

Yes, the battery is tied down - I'll check the other things you mentioned. I'm also wondering is something is triggering the ECU to turn the car off?

Originally posted by baseball
    Yes, the battery is tied down - I'll check the other things you mentioned. I'm also wondering is something is triggering the ECU to turn the car off?
    I don't think there is a function in the ECU to just turn the car off.

My 1986 Turbo Build

Originally posted by jaqattack02
    I don't think there is a function in the ECU to just turn the car off.
    I was thinking in a critical situation whereby you run too lean or rich, perhaps it might?

Originally posted by baseball
    I was thinking in a critical situation whereby you run too lean or rich, perhaps it might?
    Nope, these ECUs are old and dumb. They would do their best to keep things safe, but they would just let your engine kill itself if they can't keep up.

My 1986 Turbo Build

I'd the tune was working fine before then it's definitely mechanical or electrical
    Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

The car has been worked on for the past 10 years, I just had it tuned, for all intense of purposes, for the 1st time last fall - thus I'm driving it 'really' for the 1st time with all the mods. I don't really have a baseline to compare it to, so perhaps I will go off the assumption it's probably electrical, since the ecu from what I'm told won't cut the engine if it detects a critical state.

Originally posted by 300zxturboftw
    I'd the tune was working fine before then it's definitely mechanical or electrical

Good to know, LOL - thanks.

Originally posted by 300zxturboftw

If you're having issues it could be the tune if you just tuned it then. The map and other settings can cut out fuel and also cause a bunch of other issues.
    Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)