Tricky VG33 turbo oil feed location. Help!

• Tricky VG33 turbo oil feed location. Help!

This is long winded but bear with me. I'm swapping a mercury villager vg33 in and the normal oil feed location I've used before has a pressed in plug or was cast that way. Either way, I'd have to take the oil pan back off and try to pound it out. The location is just in front of the drivers side motor mount bracket, it's a common oil feed location as I understand.

I have the option of running the oil feed right from the oil filter housing that comes on villagers, and it's similar to the pathfinder housing. It bolts to the oil pump on the side of the motor.

My concern is that this is located before the oil goes back into the block to lubricate the crank, etc. I don't think a slight decrease in flow to the crank will exacerbate the spun bearing issue due to oil starvation. Oil pressure to the crank should be the same, and as long as the pickup tube is submerged, it should work normally. Emphasis on the 'should.'

Any thoughts on this?
    http://z31performance.com/showthread…-My-86-Project
    VG33 HE351. "No seriously, it's almost done."

It is not a plug.
    Not all VG33s have a hole pre-drilled from factory. You are going to have to drill it out at the correct angle. Before careful not to go into the main water pump galley.

My 2004 Frontier VG33 had to be drilled. I bought the bit from Sears. I can get you the correct drill size if you are interested.

Go from the VG33 oil pressure sensor location. aka the oil pressure sensor mount tap location.

The turbo will receive oil immediately after the filter, fresh and clean breh.

Does the stock turbo oil feed location draw from the oil supply before it goes through the bearings?
    Feedback- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19840

Being that I just sealed on the oil pan, I'm going to run it right after the filter on the filter housing. My new feed line has a smaller ID even than the -4an line I was using. I'll keep an eye on oil pressure and run it. Thanks guys

Floridaz, that's the other thing. Maybe it does draw before, or even splits paths, one going to bearings and the other feeding the turbo. Hard to know without having a bare block.

I made a post about this like 4 years ago. I ran it from the filter housing after the filter, zero issues there.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Sweet, experience> theory. Thanks

Also, the turbo is going to use a negligible volume of oil, so your main bearings won't care if it's before or after.
    BLOZ UP.com
    It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

Originally posted by Jared86NA View Post
    Sweet, experience> theory. Thanks
    Between my car I did like ~4 years ago or so, and the few customer cars I set up that didn't have a feed location there, I'd say its okay. We're running Keif's T3/T4 VG33 with it feeding from there, and I think Alex is running his Holset feed from that spot too.

Thats the pathfinder housing, but as long as the feed is post-filter you're fine.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

I have another one of those vg33 oil filter mounts brand new if you need it. I don't know why, but just throwing it out there if you want to experiment with this one. Paid lots for it, if you want it ill give you a deal.
    My Build Thread