intercoolers

• intercoolers

I was looking at the barrel style water to air intercooler setups out there wondering if I could bust out the sawzall and make one fit when I had and idea. I don't know a lot about coolant but I believe pressurized coolant is in a liquid state. I was wondering if it would be possible to plumb the A/C lines into a water to air intercooler and make it work. That would make for some really cold intake air. what are your thoughts?

There is a product that exists that does about what you are describing. It is for Mustang Cobra's and Lightnings but it probably can be adapted to anything.

http://www.killerchiller.com/
    2007 Nissan 350Z Base: 13.476 @ 103.870 MPH

1988 Nissan 300ZX Shiro Special New Setup [email protected] MPH

Originally posted by alane View Post
    I don't know a lot about coolant but I believe pressurized coolant is in a liquid state.
    It is the going from a liquid state to a gaseous state, evaporation, that creates the cooling effect. So technically, it should enter as a liquid, evaporate, and leave as a gas.

The issue with this idea is this… It can't provide enough continuous cooling, just like an air to air, it can store some "cold" and work better with quick stabs, IE, drag racing. Except there is better ideas for this situation, like using ice water in an air/water system.

For continuous use, a typical car a/c could provide from 12 to 24 thousand btu/hr.

Specific heat of air is about .24 (it changes with temp and pressure, but it is negligible, around 1-2% change in what the car will see.
    Good guess for 300HP is 33 pounds of air per minute, or 1980 pounds per hour.

Do the math and perfect scenario is it could drop temps from 25 to 50 degrees, but the world isn't perfect. So figure more like 20-35 degrees with a 2-4hp drag. But that's at 300 crank HP. As the HP and air flow goes up, the temperature drop goes down.

Any air/air is going to out perform that.

So, say you run it secondary to an air/air. With a 20 degree air temp drop, but extra 3hp drag, and extra pressure drop through the heat exchanger, added weight and complexity.... it becomes pretty silly.

I see your point, thought I would toss it around. I did some research on the interweb after( unfortunately) I posted this and came up with similar explanations. Admins feel free to kill this thread