vg30et lower intake gasket options. also opinions on ishino vs mls headgasket

• vg30et lower intake gasket options. also opinions on ishino vs mls headgasket

Im getting ready to pull my engine to fix the damage from my fpr vacuum line blowing off on a dyno run.

a little over a year ago I was finishing my z and had it on the dyno getting tuned. we had it up around 435whp and had room to go but my vacuum lines blew off under high boost high rpm conditions and damaged the engine. I had to let the car sit all 2014 while I saved up the money to fix it again, now is the time.

Im getting tired of the cost of the stock lower intake gaskets, the metal ones with the rubber which run around $33 for oem ones. I can get these but I hate how anytime I pull the intake a need a new one. Since so much of the vg33e items can be used on these engine and my heads are vg33 heads anyways I saw that the vg33e had stamped metal lower intake gaskets much like the exhaust manifold gaskets. These are cheaper from nissan and should be reusable if the intake had to be removed for whatever reason. I am sure it would be fine for stock operations, but I was curious if they would hold up on 400-500whp high boost operation. They were used on the supercharged version of the vg33 so I assume they can handle some boost.

also I was planning on going with ishino head gaskets since they are oem and seem to be reliable. I could afford to pick up some MLS head gaskets but I'm not sure if it is really worth it\necessary. I'm not professionally doing anything with this car, its mostly for cruising around town, and taking to the track for fun outings not competitive competition. I have read that MLS can withstand higher power totals, but are they as reliable and easy to use as the oem ones. Much like how copper is great for racing but not practical for daily driving.

The car has ARP head and main studs, Eagle Rods, BCR custom Pistons, bored .30 over, schnieder valve springs, ferrerra valves, and custom ground isky cams, with benz injectors controlled by nistune.

Also what NGK spark plug and gap would you guys recommend? I'm using BCPR7ES I don't have the gap on hand for me to say but I got it from and old post about gap for 500hp. They seemed like they worked fine for a could pulls on the dyno but would quickly foul out then I would have to change them out, not fun on a hot engine lol.
    The saing goes you save the best for last which is why the letter Z was chosen as the last letter of the alphabet. It is also why it was chosen to represent the best car of the 80's.

Respect the Z

You will need the correct 3.3L lower intake plenum for proper LIM to head seating. The lower plenum has length differences to account for gasket thickness for the steel/rubber version and all steel thin version.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

I thought the only physical difference in the vg33 heads and the 88 heads was mainly the larger exhaust studs. The metal rubber never gave me any issues just expensive on replacing. But I more than happy to switch to the cheaper stamped metal gasket just worried about how it holds up to high boost applications. The rubber ones have had no problems so far.

I've been away from the forums for sometime now so I'm not up to date with what people have been having luck with in the 400+ hp builds as I did my build in 2010. I know a lot has probably changed in 5 years hell the tech is amazing compared to when I turboed my car back in 2002 when people said it was to hard and complicated to do lol. Now na2t is common place
    The saing goes you save the best for last which is why the letter Z was chosen as the last letter of the alphabet. It is also why it was chosen to represent the best car of the 80's.

Respect the Z

Many have ran those power levels with stock head gaskets no problem. For peace of mind I run MLS. Especially since small detonation on the dyno while tuning won't blow out a head gasket and I won't have to start over again (although this should be rare if the tuner is competent).
    Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

The tuner has lots of experience, im the first to bring him nistune so he had a learning curve with the software, he did pretty good for his first go at it. He was really surprised at the power the z was making. I told him the components in the build should be capable of 400-500whp he thought it was only good for 400-500 at the crank, then when we got to 435 whp and he saw it still had room to go he was like that much power in this little car will be insane. I laughed

This is who I took it to he is located by state college PA. http://www.teamgodspeed.com/ unfortunately looking at his site I was hoping to finish the tune after getting the car running but I see he is still building his new facility and won't be open till summer sadly. Oh well I can still drive it on its current tune I just have something more to look forward to. His new facility is going to have rooms for people to stay over and be able to accommodate things like car shows and such he was really excited about it when he told me the plans for it back in 2013.

Respect the Z

My opinion is that you only need to run Mls gaskets if you want the thicker gasket to reduce your comp ratio. IN MY OPINION stock gaskets hold just as well as mls gaskets do. I know for a fact that a lot of dsm guys prefer stock gaskets over Mls