Does an n/a need a three core radiator.

• Does an n/a need a three core radiator.

Hi, I'm new here, and in an effort to not get yelled at by everybody, I searched for this answer before posting, but did not turn up info regarding my question. I admit I'm not the best at it though. Anyway, I have an '86na that I use strictly as a track car, and I'm looking to shed a few lbs. here and there, so I was looking at aluminum radiators. My question is; does my na need a three core radiator, or would two be sufficient. I have the usual mods going on, headers, full exhaust, k&n filter etc. and plan on adding an intake, cams, cam gears and nistune over the winter. Anybody here forsee trouble with a two core rad? Should I just go straight to the three core? Also, with those mods, would the nistune be worth the dough? Thank you all for taking the time to read this, and any advice you may offer will be greatly appreciated.

It's not a bad question to ask.
    I would say 3 core is overkill for a NA setup. 2 core is where you need to be.

BUT. The prices for the 3 core are so reasonable, you might as well. Ya know?

For the Nistune question. It's always a perk to have the ability to tune.
    Some have retuned a complete factory setup and saw noticeable improvements.
    But in your case. New cams and cam gears, yes you'll need a retune to fully take advantage on that upgrade.

Thank you for the answers, you confirmed what i suspected. As for the nistune thing, Even if there are no tremendous power gains, it will be nice to know exactly what is going on with it, and I assume I will be able to easily determine if the stock injectors will provide enough fuel, or if i need larger ones. Thanks again, much appreciated. i'll try to get some pics of he car up on here for anyone who is interested.

With a 3-core, you might be able to get away with wimpier electric fans that don't require an alternator upgrade (i.e. maxima fans, taurus fans). Pure speculation.
    Justin
    1986 NA 2-seater
    SCCA Solo E-Street Prepared #31
    Race Videos
    Build Thread

http://www.redz31.net/pages/fuel/fuel.injectors.html
    Screenshot_2015-10-28-14-41-36.jpg
    Maybe this will answer your question like it did me, 420cc. I'm buy these which fit Benz in the future…
    Plus I agree with amrebot on the cost on a 3 row radiator. I bought mine and it works amazingly lol

I have a 3-row Champion and I don't think my e-fans have ever come on when the car's actually moving.

Your fans shouldn't come on when the car is moving.

Yeah, mine never come on while the car is in motion even with my crappy stock turbo radiator.
    Zoey - 1987 Z31T GLL - HKS EVC / CM SS 3" turbo-back / Stance GR+
    Black Betty - 2014 Audi C7 S6 APR1

Mine doesnt even work anymore, temp are still low 150ish and 170-180 with A/C "ON". I only have the clutch Fan, the small E-Fan doesnt work anymore since i got the car.