i need advice on cams

• i need advice on cams

i need some advice on my z31 drag car project.this car has a stock bottom end right now and i am running 850cc injectors 75 shot of nitrous, t3/t4 turbo with stage 5 back end .63 a/r and.50 a/r compressor,iam also running a back half with aford 9 inch witha3.5 ratio.i live in the island of Grenada where i am the only person running a z 31 in this type of application .i also have a home made intake ,a 60mm throttle body,i have just purchased a new cam from schiender 294 duration and i am a bit confused cause someone who is supposed to be an expert in the z31 arena says that my cam is too big .this is a full race application iam a newbie, so excuse my ignorance. also my heads are ported.please respond asap

sorry, dont know a whole lot about cam grinds but from the list of stuff youve done, Id hardly consider you a newbie, any chance you can get some pics of your rearend swap? I would be really interested to see how you set that up.

The engine can be made to make use of those cams. But at a minimum you will need valve springs to deal with the rpm.

The more you improve the airflow, the better you will be able to use the cams. A safe limit on a stock bottom end is 7200-7500rpm. I would not go beyond that without replacing some parts.
    http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

I too believe that it is too big of a cam.
    Praying....

I have jwt s2's in stock heads and im starting to think they are not helping much without a port job. Im considering putting stock cams back in. Plus im getting tired of the added lifter noise.
    Bolt on, fast, z31. You can only pick two.
    Old weaksauce numbers: 391hp/433tq

Matt89 wrote: I have jwt s2's in stock heads and im starting to think they are not helping much without a port job. Im considering putting stock cams back in. Plus im getting tired of the added lifter noise.
    you should have read before you went ahead and installed those … its been stated in a few threads a while ago that cams without porting is useless.

[quote]2+2turbo wrote:
    Originally posted by Matt89
    I have jwt s2's in stock heads and im starting to think they are not helping much without a port job. Im considering putting stock cams back in. Plus im getting tired of the added lifter noise.
    you should have read before you went ahead and installed those … its been stated in a few threads a while ago that cams without porting is useless.
    not true at all…my stage 1 schneider cams made a very noticable difference to my top end power. The main problem is that it is VERY EASY to go too agressive…pretty much a stage 1 grind from any company is usually as agressive as is useful. With stock heads you can actually lose power with going to big for sure. Also I would think that since a duration of 280/280 is already considered a race grind, 294 has to be WAY too much…then again I don't design cams, I'm just a rational person.

1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (Budget Supercar)
    1987 Nissan 200SX SE (Old School FR)
    1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R (Balls To The Wall Track Car)
    2000 Nissan Maxima SE (Daily Driver)
    2006 Scion tC (Wife Whip)

In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand, so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

matt ill buy your cams! :-)

considering the casting flash is similar to small pebbels lining the ports, even getting rid of the flash alone i imagine would help

OK, the cams are definitely coming out…but im not sure if i want to sell them yet. I would consider a trade for a set of jwt s1's. 88sinz, pm me with an offer and i'll let you know.
    Bolt on, fast, z31. You can only pick two.
    Old weaksauce numbers: 391hp/433tq