Dual Exhuast w/ Mid Pipe

• Dual Exhuast w/ Mid Pipe

Does anyone here have experience with a true dual exhaust set up on our cars? N/A application of course.
    An exhaust upgrade is what I want to do first to my Z and thought of getting performance headers, pace setters aren't too expensive.
    Then instead of using the Y pipe the headers include, going to a local mufffler shop and getting an X or H mid pipe and the rest of the system to the back. I'll be deleting the Cat, Muffler and EGR, I don't need them as emissions isn't an issue in my state and my Z won't be a daily so I expect to hold out on smell and noise.

Anyone ever gone this route before or at least think this set up may show a gain in performance?

Complete waste of time and effort. The fuel filler is in the way, for one, and for two - a 2.5" or 3" cat-back will be just as well, or better, performing and sound way better. True duals on V6s don't sound good IMO - theres a reason I converted my Z32s to single exhaust. X pipe cars are ok.....but H is too raspy.

Even 350Zs sound best single - and technically their stock exhaust is single, with dual outlets from the muffler.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Pace setter products are complete garbage and a dual exhaust is a waste of resources for these chassis.

There was a dude in NY who made a few shitty dual exhaust and they looked like a 4yr olds crayon drawing. dan86300zxt
    Last edited by 88sinZ; 07-27-2016, 01:48 PM.

CM Performance seems to be the best bet for our cars. Go to http://cmperformanceexhaust.com/ and click the "+" next to 84-89 300 ZX and go through the options. Personally I think a 2 1/2" with the dual tip muffler would be just fine on any NA Z31.

I didn't mean to have the dual exhaust exit on both sides. I know there are obstructions in the way to have a pipe exit on the right side and also the bumper doesn't have a cut out.
    I wanted to know if a dual exhuast with an X pipe for example would show any gains in performance. I would have had them exit on the left side or even dump below the car.

I know about CM performance and MSA, CM is more ideal do to a 2.5" option. Like I had said, i wanted to know about Dual exhuast on our cars, i will end up having a muffler shop make me a 2.5" mandrel bend system with a muffler of my choice.

Originally posted by Reds89 View Post
    CM Performance seems to be the best bet for our cars. Go to http://cmperformanceexhaust.com/ and click the "+" next to 84-89 300 ZX and go through the options. Personally I think a 2 1/2" with the dual tip muffler would be just fine on any NA Z31.
    As far as their website is concerned, I can't seem to find their options anymore. Did they quit making systems for the z31?
    Shiro #93
    Mods: A/C Removal, Custom Lightweight W-series crank pulley, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan, EGR/AIV/CC removal

^ If you click on the + sign next to the 84-89 tab it brings up links to the different options otherwise it will just take you to a blank page.

Originally posted by tcfs View Post

As far as their website is concerned, I can't seem to find their options anymore. Did they quit making systems for the z31?
    More likely they're having website issues. Their site was completely down when I ordered a downpipe earlier this summer. Looks like they've updated it a bit since and haven't cleaned up all the dead links.

Or feel free to call them and order over the phone. The guy I talked to was a bit eccentric, but otherwise was prompt to take the order and ship it out.
    '86 300ZXT GLL
    '78 Datsun 280Z BP
    '11 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD

Ah, okay. That explains it.
    Shiro #93
    Mods: A/C Removal, Custom Lightweight W-series crank pulley, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan, EGR/AIV/CC removal