Installation Headache of MSA Headers on '87

• Installation Headache of MSA Headers on '87

Hey everyone - has anyone ever had or heard of someone having problems with the fitment of the MSA headers on a z31?

Mine is an '87 non-turbo and the angles of the new headers are just clearly wrong.

MSA is researching via pictures if the issue is with the car or the headers themselves - baffles me since the original headers were just taken off the car and fit just fine

Anyway, hoping it's a case of the pipes they shipped out being made incorrectly. Anyone have similar problems?

Thanks!
    Tyler
    2005 350Z Enthusiast 6spd
    Nismo CAI, Motordyne 1/2" plenum spacer, Stillen headers, Berk TPs, Borla TD exhaust, UR pulleys, uprev street tune, nismo 18" LMGT4s

1987 300ZX GLL 5spd
    CM-Performance exhaust and test pipes, PaceSetters headers, K&N filtercharger, Cusco front strut bar, Eibach lowering springs, '90 z32 front brakes, rays V1 track z33 wheels, shiro SS front lip, JDM 200ZR steering wheel

This is all I can think of: http://www.aus300zx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302609

I have a set in a box somewhere that I have been meaning to install…
    Justin
    1986 NA 2-seater
    SCCA Solo E-Street Prepared #31
    Race Videos
    Build Thread

Thanks for the link to other thread. Looks like that guy had fitment issues too with both the steering column and bell tower. Pretty crappy 'perfect fit' headers made by MSA

I'll let you know what ends up happening to me.
    Nismo CAI, Motordyne 1/2" plenum spacer, Stillen headers, Berk TPs, Borla TD exhaust, UR pulleys, uprev street tune, nismo 18" LMGT4s

1987 300ZX GLL 5spd
    CM-Performance exhaust and test pipes, PaceSetters headers, K&N filtercharger, Cusco front strut bar, Eibach lowering springs, '90 z32 front brakes, rays V1 track z33 wheels, shiro SS front lip, JDM 200ZR steering wheel

I got a set of headers from them that did not clear the bell housing on the passenger side, exactly as in that post from aus300zx. Walked away and went NA2T at that point. MSA was very cool about it.

But why would a company called The Z Store be cool with selling 'custom fit' headers that don't actually fit our cars?

1987 300ZX GLL 5spd

My guess is that they have a bad batch where the jig was off or something and they can't separate them out from earlier or later good ones. Also, dirty secret, a lot of people buy parts and never install them. So it's not impossible that they are just going case-by-case and handling it as a customer service issue..

yep makes sense Frozen. I will let you know how this one finishes up

1987 300ZX GLL 5spd

I'm curious if you ever got around to installing these headers. I was under my car this weekend and had to remove the stock exhaust. Seeing that really has me motivated to pull the trigger on a whole CM stainless exhaust. I think it would really sing bolted up to headers, but the fitment issue scares me off. I wonder if frostvectron's older set and your newer set have any design differences?

We've lost so many people from the forum that it would be hard to do a shoutout of people running MSA headers and get a decent number of responses, but I don't think the record is very good. I think mikep had a set of MSAs on an '86 but that would go back at least five or six years. I don't know if Russ84NA was running MSAs or if he got custom ones made. I want to say there's an autocross dude in Vegas as well but I don't remember his handle. Besides that I know there's been at least three confirmed non-fit issues just with board members over the past few years and at least one other one in Oz.

I honestly wouldn't go in on MSAs at this point if I were you. (note - in mine and every other case I have heard of MSA has been great on the customer service side about it, they just can't seem to provide headers that fit.)
    Last edited by FrozenZ; 08-22-2016, 12:06 PM. Reason: fairness to MSA

Hey - so here is an update about my headers. I shipped them back to MSA and they went back to their manufacturer and the manufacturer confirmed the headers fit the jig (no kidding). So at this point, it is a pretty solid assumption that the jig no longer fits our cars. But the good news is is that Jeff, the customer service manager, was reasonable and helpful and he refunded me since the headers don't fit. The customer service guys Alejandro and James, who I dealt with for 2 weeks prior, were absolutely the opposite and not helpful or pleasant at all.

So I now have a set of PaceSetter headers and will see if those fit. If they do, I am all set. If they don't, ultimate bummer! But regardless, Jeff wants me to get back to him and confirm about the fitment. I am hoping that means he may switch manufacturers to someone who actually produces headers who fit our cars!

So i'll update again in a day or 2 once I test fit the PaceSetters.

1987 300ZX GLL 5spd

Following this i have a pair of MSA headers for my 87 from like almost 3 years ago but have not installed them yet .

I'd hunt down a set of Doug Thorley long tubes if you're going for a custom exhaust anyways. They're a much of higher quality and performance.

The headers are designed for a VG33 so you may have to egg out the stud mount holes - this is a great time to replace the exhaust manifold studs. I have found they flow enough to blow out gaskets, so double up like you're plowing a slam pig. Walker 31305.

expect some modification for fitment http://shop.dougthorleyheaders.com/c…rs-thy-465-l-c
    Last edited by 88sinZ; 08-24-2016, 11:01 PM.

Justin
    1986 NA 2-seater
    SCCA Solo E-Street Prepared #31
    Race Videos
    Build Thread

Hey - final update here. The PaceSetter headers are fully installed. They look and sound amazing. You can really see them well with the hood popped. I am very happy with them!

I am going back to Motorsport with this information. Hoping they pick a new manufacturer.

I'll post some pics later today.

1987 300ZX GLL 5spd

Looking forward to seeing pics!