Gutting intake plenum without a milling machine

• Gutting intake plenum without a milling machine

So I ordered a used intake plenum with the intention of gutting it and getting an asco top plate welded on. I just wanted some opinions on what kind of tools people have used to gut these themselves. I know I could take it to a shop to get milled but I'm on a budget and I'd like to avoid that if I could. I have an angle grinder with a cutting wheel that I was hoping I could do most of the work with. Any suggestions or ideas?

An angle grinder with cut off wheel & flap disc kinda works. Do not waste your time using a stone grinder attachment. You'll still need to use a dremel with flexible attachment to finish it off. Even then it's a lot of work. Many of us have tried this route. It's really not that expensive to have a machinist gut it. Been quoted .5-1hr to have a machinist knock out. The expensive part is the welding of the plate & deleting everything. I've gone both routes. The machinist route is the most efficient & cost effective way. I've been there done that & got the T-shirt.
    Originally posted by Racinjitter
    :lol: Those of us who say A/C FTW all have a g/f or wife. ac+women=more quiet=possibility of sex. -
    ac+women=SUPER BITCHING=no sex.

Originally posted by nismo kid View Post
    An angle grinder with cut off wheel & flap disc kinda works. Do not waste your time using a stone grinder attachment. You'll still need to use a dremel with flexible attachment to finish it off. Even then it's a lot of work. Many of us have tried this route. It's really not that expensive to have a machinist gut it. Been quoted .5-1hr to have a machinist knock out. The expensive part is the welding of the plate & deleting everything. I've gone both routes. The machinist route is the most efficient & cost effective way. I've been there done that & got the T-shirt.
    Thanks for all the info. I think I'll use my angle grinder to do a good chunk of the work and the have the rest milled. I think there is a shop that is somewhat local that can do it. Thanks again

I used a recip saw and metal cutting blade. Much faster than a grinder. There are pics in my build thread of the process.
    Butter (credit where credit is due): "You have this "gift" where you can make cooking a Hot Pocket seem like you need a certain wavelength microwave and involve brown mustard."

I hacked out most of mine with a grinder and finished it off with a mill at work. Although I didn't pay for it and did it myself, it doesn't take long at all when its at the stage.
    Straya, +61

Oh, and I did use a die grinder after milling to get a kind of bell mouth around the ports. Counter sunk holes for bolts, yada yada yada.. Seems to work well.
    Straya, +61

Random thought: would aluminum brazing work to seal a new top on? Much easier than welding, great for sealing, but not as strong as welding. People typically use it for boat repairs.
    Justin
    1986 NA 2-seater
    SCCA Solo E-Street Prepared #31
    Race Videos
    Build Thread

Why not weld? Last thing you wanna see is danger to manifold light flashing on the dash..
    Straya, +61

Apparently people have blown the welds on intake manifolds running 20+ psi of boost. I guess the fast and furious wasn't lying lol