Engine unable to clear steering rack upon installation. - 87 NA2T

• Engine unable to clear steering rack upon installation. - 87 NA2T

Hi fellas,

I've run into a bit of a problem while putting the newly turbo-charged engine back in the bay of my NA car. turns out the turbo exhaust elbow is hitting the steering shaft and not clearing it to be able to mount the engine in place properly. we removed the shaft from the steering rack assembly and the engine is in, however now the rod will not be able to go back in place with the engine in.
    I'm wondering why it is hitting, unless the steering rack is different on the early Zenki car than on the later Kouki model and doesn't allow the VG to fit back in place. Front cross-member works and fits perfectly (off the same JDM turbo car that I got all the turbo components from, which was a VG20ET) but I just can't see what else is preventing this from setting correctly.
    this fit issue doesn't seem to be a factor on others' NA to Turbo projects; at least I haven't read of anyone having the problem. I really don't want to have to do any fabricating to the rack if I don't have to… still scratching my head on what to do next. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Bon

You're probably gonna have to post pics, especially of the crossmember and the exhaust elbow. My guess is that the VG20ET exhaust elbow isn't the same as the VG30ET and/or you have LHD/RHD issues happening and/or (most likely) the VG20 crossmember is different and it's putting the VG30 in the wrong position relative to the steering column and possibly other stuff…

The easiest thing to fabricate would be different exhaust routing out of the turbo if it comes to that. But. you should definitely check and make sure that you don't have other engine position issues (does the hood close, will the tranny mate up, etc) before worrying about the exhaust. You can always make exhaust work one way or another.

well, went to the shop today and got to see the issues at hand. the engine was able to mount up to the CM exhaust perfectly, however the issue with the rack still stands. i was thinking maybe the elbow off the VG20ET might be different but it looks the same as on a T3, but i just can't tell. the other thing we are figuring is that the cross-member from the JDM car is slightly smaller in that maybe the bushing points for the rack might be narrower than on the US model. the rack needs to be moved to left a few inches on the turbo side in order for it to clear. my mech is thinking about taking the cross-member out and modifying it by cutting those bushing point brackets and moving them outward so that there is more room to adjust the rack. aren't there adjustable rack bushings available? either that or grind down the side of the exhaust elbow which we are both against doing…
    i need to find out if there is a size difference on the US model cross-member vs. the JDM turbo cross-member… but i don't have the original cross-member any more unfortunately. crap.
    really don't want to buy another one from the states and find out it still hitting. the car i pulled everything from was RHD, but i don't think would make too much of a difference as it was in a Zenki bay just like any VG on a Z31. perhaps i am wrong. definately wasn't thinking about this when i was gathering everything. here are some pics… actually never mind, for some reason this site is not letting me upload the pictures i just took on my phone and transfered to my computer… says the extension file doesn't match. wtf. guess i'll have to mess with that tomorrow.

what do you think?

thanks for your info btw.

Bon

well,I am unable to upload pictures as the browser keeps giving me the error 'image upload failed because the extension of this image doesn't match the file'. I don't know a way around this.
    So since I cannot provide a photo, does anyone know if there is a dimensional difference on the cross-members that came on the turbo cars between the zenki and kouki years? or is there a difference in shape or size of the exhaust elbow coming from the turbo housing? these are the only things that I can see which could be causing the fitment issue.

on the positive side of things, the CM exhaust system looks and fits great on the car! I'm definitely getting one for my 280zx and my 280 sometime down the road. can't wait to hear it!

appreciate any help. thanks guys.

Bon
    Last edited by bonfire79; 02-05-2017, 12:19 AM.

Comment

• sir420
      sir420 commented
      Shape and size of crossmembers are the same. Exhaust elbows are the same shape and size as well for the t3/t25. Elbow already has a recess for the shaft to go into.

See picture below.
    The Herd
    85 z31 GLL N/A2T (7psi daily){Totaled 1-24-2012}
    85 z31 GL N/A2T slightly modified
    85 z31 GLL Turbo Kaminari converted to N/A
    85 z31 GLL Turbo (parted out)(scrapped)
    90 s13 se n/a (stock)Wife blew up the engine
    88 xj40/xj6 (stock) Yard Art
    88 Mighty Max
    99 WJ 4.7 Limited

you know now it all makes sense. I didn't consider there would be a difference. the VG20ET were JDM cars that had RHD, so no reason to put a recess in the exhaust elbow for the steering shaft. thank you for pointing that out, because I didn't even think of it. so I think we've found the problem. so now I need to get a T3 exhaust elbow. the only thing I'm worried about is will it bolt up the same on the TB250 turbo housing? and I need to locate one.... hmmmm. that should fix the problem though. I did find one online at Nissan for around 100 bucks, but its for the later 88 T25 and it looks different on the diagram than the one on the T3 which isn't available.

looks like you have had several NA2T setups yourself… would you mind if I asked you about how they ran? did you have any problems with them? my setup is going stock. no high boost. no intercooler. stock injectors. stock N/A fuel pump. rebuilt VG30E engine.

Thanks,

Bonny
    Last edited by bonfire79; 02-06-2017, 12:21 AM.

stock N/A fuel pump.

My Na2t setups all run like a beast. N/a and turbo fuel pumps are the same.
    The Herd
    85 z31 GLL N/A2T (7psi daily){Totaled 1-24-2012}
    85 z31 GL N/A2T slightly modified
    85 z31 GLL Turbo Kaminari converted to N/A
    85 z31 GLL Turbo (parted out)(scrapped)
    90 s13 se n/a (stock)Wife blew up the engine
    88 xj40/xj6 (stock) Yard Art
    88 Mighty Max
    99 WJ 4.7 Limited