VG33E Connecting Rod Nut Removal - thin wall socket?

• VG33E Connecting Rod Nut Removal - thin wall socket?

Hey all -

I noticed today when removing the rods (with pistons), I am not able to fully insert the docket around the 14mm nut because the area of the rod around the nut is too narrow and causes interference with the socket. I tried several different sockets I have, but none of them allow more than about 1/2 the depth of the nut to be secured by the socket. I was able to "carefully" remove one rod, but began to strip the second one. Is there some kind of thin wall socket or something you guys are using to fully contain the nut in the socket to ensure they are not stripped?

Thanks!!!

I have an od assortment of sockets and some of the better quality ones (older craftsman) have thinner walls than the ones i recently purchased new from ACE.

You can thin out the wall of a socket by using it in a power drill and rotate it against either a bench grinder or a angle grinder.
    I commonly have to do this at work because of custom plumbing we use. I use a cordless drill, 1/4" hex to 3/8" socket driver adapter and a bench grinder.
    Last edited by Z_Karma; 02-14-2017, 10:01 AM.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Interesting…thanks for the idea. I'll give that a try. I have craftsman sockets that I purchased back in 1999'ish. They are not thin enough. I'm surprised the manual doesn't call for a SST or something here. I had the same problem with one of the bolts on the main cap girdle.