VGT33E Trouble with main bearing cap sitting onto the block

• VGT33E Trouble with main bearing cap sitting onto the block

Is there some kind of secret to installing the main bearing cap onto the block? Mine doesn't seem to want to sit down. It's almost as if the bearing cap is wider than the channel it sits into on the block?

Anyone else ever have this issue?

First off, make sure it is facing in the right direction. If you are fine there then just tap it with a rubber mallet. The main bearing cap is a precise (tight) fit so it might need a couple of thwacks to get it to fall into to place just right.
    Shiro #93
    Mods: A/C Removal, Custom Lightweight W-series crank pulley, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan, EGR/AIV/CC removal

Usually just align the tang, and press in the other side. Don't lubricate the backing. Is it popping out after installing them?

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, it's quite tight. It's in the correct direction (I double checked that first). I tried small taps from a rubber hammer, but thought that was excessive, so I didn't continue. It;s not popping out (yet) after it's in, I just haven't yet been able to get it in. It's not lubricated, though it's also not cleaned thoroughly (like with brake cleaner). I just wiped all surfaces well. I was simply preparing for measuring oil clearances, with the old bearings.

I can lay down one side of the main caps (do you call this a girdle? - I'm not used to using an "assembly" of main caps. My Toyota engines have independent main caps), across all four bearing positions, onto the block's main journals, but the other side of the main cap assembly stays sitting up on the edge. I also tied to go in level and flat, but that doesn't help.

Ok, so just lay in the one side and tap with a soft hammer? I can give that a try today.

Originally posted by tcfs View Post
    First off, make sure it is facing in the right direction. If you are fine there then just tap it with a rubber mallet. The main bearing cap is a precise (tight) fit so it might need a couple of thwacks to get it to fall into to place just right.
    Worked excellent! Thanks for the tip! Ya!!!