oil cooler and remote mount filter /standalone turbo cooling

• oil cooler and remote mount filter /standalone turbo cooling

aight guys i work at an auto parts store and i had a wicked slow day. what i was wondering if anyone has came across what im going to attempt on my NA2T conversion. both ideas are oiling and cooling ideas for the turbo addition.

first; im looking at a remote filter kit, Mr Gasket makes a "universal" kit that will fit our spin on filter mount. i checked the fitment of it via; thread pitch and gasket dimensions. i would assume clearance wont be a problem for the fittings. i would run the lines to a remote mount filter, then oil cooler then turbo and back into the engine, maybe turbo then cooler due to line routing and i would assume the turbo would be heating the oil much more than the most of the engine.

second; a more sound solution i think would be having the turbo on its own standalone system. which would involve a small dry sump system, a cooler, small remote filter, and a oil reservoir. the dry sump could easily be mounted in the deleted AC compressors position.

i like the idea of both because they are modular and would be efficient, and under a catastrophic malfunction (*pours oil on floor for spun bearings and broke down oil*)

i know the first thought would be that all of this would be very pricey, and actually its not to bad considering whats involved. and as a bonus all this stuff could be moved over to the big numbers vg im working over, and i think it would be a great place to test the system. just let me know what ya guys think.
    85 N/A 300zx (vacuum cleaner)
    95 BMW 740i (daily driver)
    85.5 Porsche 944 e-spec (sold and missed)
    69 Impala 2dr coupe (ehh)
    89 Crown Vic (frame draggin' ole ladys ride)

correct me if i'm wrong, but oil coolers introduce backpressure into the oil system… having this on a gravity fed oil drain would be a very BAD idea, depending on the way it was hooked up.

why not just run a thermostatically controlled sandwich between the filter and the block running to an oil cooler? the oil being fed to the turbo to cool it off is the same temp as the rest of the engine, and it all intermixes and goes through the cooler from the oil pan anyway.

my opinion? too much effort for too little gain.

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
    1990 jetta vr6'd

Ok i got a kit the relocates the filter and i added an oil cooler in with it.The remote mount part has two 1/8npt ports that i just ran my turbo oil feed line from.
    "If your car cant do a burnout from a 60mph rolling start, then your engine needs more work."

"Nitrous doesn't blow up motors; Idiots with nitrous blow up motors."

Shooting for 500whp

DeleriousZ wrote: correct me if i'm wrong, but oil coolers introduce backpressure into the oil system… having this on a gravity fed oil drain would be a very BAD idea, depending on the way it was hooked up.
    Yeah, and thats why i like the idea with the dry sump, also to add onto what you stated the more area you have in an expandable area (rubber hose) or even in hard line, the more the pressure drop, again why i like the dry sump. as that wouldnt be as parasitic on the oiling system
    85 N/A 300zx (vacuum cleaner)
    95 BMW 740i (daily driver)
    85.5 Porsche 944 e-spec (sold and missed)
    69 Impala 2dr coupe (ehh)
    89 Crown Vic (frame draggin' ole ladys ride)

There is really no reason to do all this. Just run a standard oil line and gravity feed just like millions of turbo cars out there. No need to overcomplicate things.
    Bolt on, fast, z31. You can only pick two.
    Old weaksauce numbers: 391hp/433tq