MSA exhaust questions

• MSA exhaust questions

I've read through many many threads, but I still have a couple of questions I was hoping someone could help me with. I've emailed The Z Store, but received no reply yet.

I'm wondering what their Performance Exhaust is like, and the differences between the 2 options they offer.
    If I look at this page: http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/PEC26
    I get almost no info on the cheaper option.
    However, it seems this is the page I was looking for to see details on the cheaper system:
    http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/CTGY/PEC06

SO, I guess the basic question for the board is: Is the cheaper option really a performance upgrade at all?

Would going with the more expensive option on a bone stock N/A show any gains at all? I mean, with the stock Y-pipe up front, I would think not. Although, I definitely would like a meaner sounding car. Anyone know how the cheaper option SOUNDS?

Does anyone know the muffler used on the more expensive option? Could I just go with a stock midpipe and buy that particular muffler and achieve better sound than the cheaper kit?

Its not that I'm against spending the money on the more expensive kit, I just want to make sure it is not a foolish way to spend the cash if I get no added benefit.

Thanks for any and all help.

P.S. Maybe this needs to be in noob/newb thread, but I ain't gonna make that call.
    '85 5-speed N/A
    other rides: '07 GTI, '85 MR2, '09 Mazda5 (wife's)

Did you check out CMPerformance?

Yes, but they are almost the same price for their 3" exhaust, and it doesn't seem worth it to drop to the 2.5" system to save just $30. So given the choice of $255 for CM's 2.5", $290 for CM's 3", or $285 for MSA's 3", I'm going with the latter just because I've seen/heard the vids and love the way it sounds.

My other thought is to buy CM's 2.5" midpipe only. At $160, it seems damned pricey, though. Then pick up a $50 universal muffler. Probably not worth it, though.
    '85 5-speed N/A

Ah well. I couldn't get anyone on the phone over at zparts and still no answer to my email, so I gave up on them. I went ahead and ordered the 2.5" midpipe from CM. I'll find my own muffler. After thinking about it, I don't think I want a 4" diameter tailpipe anyway.

So my tally so far is:
    stock style y-pipe and gaskets from Amazon = $70 shipped
    Magnaflow direct fit cat from Ebay = $85 shipped
    CM performance 2.5" midpipe = $175 shipped

I can't help but still feel I'm doing something wrong when I spend this kind of money upgrading a car that I only paid $1100 for to begin with. :-?
    '85 5-speed N/A

Qbrozen wrote:

I can't help but still feel I'm doing something wrong when I spend this kind of money upgrading a car that I only paid $1100 for to begin with. :-?
    Welcome to an 80s Z car. I paid more for the stereo in my 86 then i paid for the car. I paid more for performance parts for my 87 before it died. and I'm about to pay more just to get it going again. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

Buy a Magnaflow muffler, its a good bargain and a great muffler.
    Straights are for Fast Cars. Turns are for Fast Drivers.
    Life Starts at 1.3Bar(17Psi).