O-ringing the vg30e block for…

• O-ringing the vg30e block for…

Well I am looking through summitracing and noticed that the metal head gaskets require o-ringing the block. What exactly does this do and how much can it cost typically?
    1973 Toyota celica powered by an na2t vg30e, Toyota Hilux rear end and Holset HE351VE-VGT needs manfifolds for her. Live life or die trying.
    2005 srt-4 neon, bolt ons, methanol injection, AGP .50 trim turbo, heat soaked very badly and no stinking fan in front of my car, it still managed to put down 372 whp and 395 wtq track times soon to come.

Puts a stainless steel ring around each cylinder bore that sticks up past the deck of the block. When you put the head on it creates a mechanical lock on the head gasket. When I had mine done, it cost me $230 to have the stainless rings installed. Looks like a wire around each bore.

I assume you are looking at copper gaskets since they require a ring?

Check z31parts.com to see what the status is with Jason and his steel head gaskets.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.

Last I checked they were in stock

Summit also sells ones that are copper but, do not require o-ring.

They require a gasket glue or something along that route!

Get Jason's gaskets!!!
    88na2T-s13,q45 swap 12.6@110mph
    87T 2+2 auto,stock

Well the head gaskets I was checking out were the summit racing ones and they state o-ringing the block is required. Thanks everyone for the help so far.
    1973 Toyota celica powered by an na2t vg30e, Toyota Hilux rear end and Holset HE351VE-VGT needs manfifolds for her. Live life or die trying.
    2005 srt-4 neon, bolt ons, methanol injection, AGP .50 trim turbo, heat soaked very badly and no stinking fan in front of my car, it still managed to put down 372 whp and 395 wtq track times soon to come.

yota73 wrote: Well the head gaskets I was checking out were the summit racing ones and they state o-ringing the block is required. Thanks everyone for the help so far.
    I ran these type of gaskets on my 3vzfe camry engine and problem always was with the coolant leaking under high boost hope you have better luck . I had a custom batch made by Cometic and that was bullet proof.

Everyone I know who uses copper seems to have coolant weeping / leakage sooner or later - they are designed for drag cars that get taken apart all the time… don't run copper unless you're OK with that. This is still true if you have the block O-ringed, as it leaks from the coolant ports.

Jason does have the MLS gaskets - I bought a set from him for my 3.3 build - they appear to be decent quality, I wouldn't say as nice as my old HKS MSL gaskets, but then again they are the best option we seem to have at this point.
    '84 AE Z31 - last time it was dyno'd - 392RWHP, 431 Ft-Lb RWTQ.

For this year - building a VG33, bigger turbo (GT35R BB), just got done with making my own custom roll cage, all of the bodywork and a new paint job!

Want more details? Check out my profile on vg30et.com!

turbomike wrote: Everyone I know who uses copper seems to have coolant weeping / leakage sooner or later - they are designed for drag cars that get taken apart all the time… don't run copper unless you're OK with that. This is still true if you have the block O-ringed, as it leaks from the coolant ports.

Jason does have the MLS gaskets - I bought a set from him for my 3.3 build - they appear to be decent quality, I wouldn't say as nice as my old HKS MSL gaskets, but then again they are the best option we seem to have at this point.
    Alright then, now we just need to have every hole on the block o-ringed then! I'm sure that will be cheap!
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.

Ehh… just plug 'em. Who needs coolant and oil anyway? :nanan?re