Oil Thickness/Rod Knock?

SATAN wrote: um doesnt it get thicker after it gets hot. You need the thinner oil for the cold startin situations.
    Um.. multi weight oil still gets thicker cold.. just not as thick.. thats why oil comes out so much faster when its hot. And thats why it takes me forever to empty my waste oil container in the winter.

just my $.02

12.88 @ 114 mph.. in a 91 maxima at 14 psi

[quote]Maxmaxima91 wrote:
    Originally posted by SATAN
    um doesnt it get thicker after it gets hot. You need the thinner oil for the cold startin situations.
    Um.. multi weight oil still gets thicker cold.. just not as thick.. thats why oil comes out so much faster when its hot. And thats why it takes me forever to empty my waste oil container in the winter.

just my $.02
    oil gets thicker as it gets hot

modern multigrade oils have wax crystal structures in them that expand as temperature rises, that's how it's able to maintain say 20 weight at freezing temps and 50 weight at operating temp

[quote]Maxmaxima91 wrote:
    um doesnt it get thicker after it gets hot. You need the thinner oil for the cold startin situations.

just my $.02
    right, but as it heats up viscosity increases to fight the effects of it getting thin due to heat.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.

i don't see how i could do something wrong as far as an oil change. i check my oil every time i get gas and i know where my oil levels are. the synthetics i used where fine to a certain point and then all of a sudden it was gone. i drove the 350 on vaction this year which is a 250 mile drive. i checked everything before we left. and before we left to come home. by the time i got home i was down 3 quarts of oil. 250miles that is all.

boost. does a body good!

jjewell wrote: 2 cars same problem and only with synthetics. the 300 happened with about 1500 miles on the oil in summer. the 350z with 25,000 miles on the engine did the same thing but after about 2000 miles . what i think happened was the heat broke the oil down and blew right past the rings and got burned in combustion. both cars only did it in the summer that i know of. i never gave it enough time to even make it to the winter without changing back to conventional oil. i only know what i have experienced first hand. alot of people will argue this because synthetics cost more so they must be better. i don't run the high mileage oil in the 350 just a good quility conventional oil because the engine doesn't have high mileage. when you pull a drain plug on a cold engine and the 2 quarts of oil that are left in the engine piss out of it thinner than water you know somethings wrong.
    If you burned 3 quarts of oil in the cumbustion camber, your plugs would be fouled, badly. I run mobile 1 for 10k miles in my z, and it looks fine when it comes out, like any other oil. Something here just does not sound right.
    Chuck Stong
    300+ Parts and Performance owner
    http://www.300-plus.com
    2002 ZCOT president and always active member

[quote]Firehawk wrote:
    Originally posted by jjewell
    2 cars same problem and only with synthetics. the 300 happened with about 1500 miles on the oil in summer. the 350z with 25,000 miles on the engine did the same thing but after about 2000 miles . what i think happened was the heat broke the oil down and blew right past the rings and got burned in combustion. both cars only did it in the summer that i know of. i never gave it enough time to even make it to the winter without changing back to conventional oil. i only know what i have experienced first hand. alot of people will argue this because synthetics cost more so they must be better. i don't run the high mileage oil in the 350 just a good quility conventional oil because the engine doesn't have high mileage. when you pull a drain plug on a cold engine and the 2 quarts of oil that are left in the engine piss out of it thinner than water you know somethings wrong.
    If you burned 3 quarts of oil in the cumbustion camber, your plugs would be fouled, badly. I run mobile 1 for 10k miles in my z, and it looks fine when it comes out, like any other oil. Something here just does not sound right.
    ****Not only would the plugs be fouled, He would be leaving such a smoke screen for the claimed 250 mile trip, that it would be DAMN OBVIOUS.
    I'm not saying he didn't loose the three qts. I am merely saying, he didn't burn it off in combustion. It would have to SMOKE to the point where it is soooooooooooooo obvious to "burn" three qts. in that amount of mileage, even if it was doubled, or tripled with the mileage number.
    :roll:
    I am here to help…

all i know is what happened to me personally. i don't try to explain these kinds of things anymore because i know it just supposed to happen to me. no fouled plugs no smoke screen just no oil. not mention both engines should have spun a bearing or something. like i said i don't even try to figure this shit out anymore because no matter what it is cars or other wise this shit seems to only happen to me and no one can explain it. i have had no problems with conventional oil and sure everyone hasn't as well as long as they do there 3000 mile oil changes. i don't beleive in the 10,000 mile oil change nor will i ever. regardless of what type of oil you use it's still going to get shitted up from just normal operation. if i had a dollar everytime someone told me synthetic oil was junk i'd have like $2.00 if you where here when it happened to me you would scratch your head just like i did. :? these things aren't supposed to happen in the real world but unfortunatly it happens to me. it hasn't happened since so i'll just keep doing what i'm doing and all seems happy with both of my engines.

boost. does a body good!

:shock:
    *I know…that freak around the corner from you saw you dumping in the "Good Stuff", and before you left, he dropped out what he felt would have wouldn't have been obvious" Frelling thieves. (and with the price of things, no wonder!)

OR

You were hung over or feelin dandy…And could swore you put in 4 qts. or so.....but got distracted, misplaced the oil, got robbed, totally lost a moment in time with out realizing it, Hell,..you blacked out, or possibly there's an oil gremlin that doesn't like you.
    :?
    **This is all weird stuff....this kind of stuff happens to you? Sounds silly, and there's a name for this…I just can't place it.
    :lol:
    I am here to help…

[quote]SATAN wrote: [quote=Maxmaxima91]

just my $.02
    right, but as it heats up viscosity increases to fight the effects of it getting thin due to heat.
    Viscosity goes up but it stilll thins.. heres a Quote from a web site that sums it up pretty well. made me understand it much better..

"At cold temperatures, the polymers are coiled up and allow the oil to flow as their low numbers indicate. As the oil warms up, the polymers begin to unwind into long chains that prevent the oil from thinning as much as it normally would. The result is that at 100 degrees C, the oil has thinned only as much as the higher viscosity number indicates. Another way of looking at multi-vis oils is to think of a 20W-50 as a 20 weight oil that will not thin more than a 50 weight would when hot. "

So it still thins.. just not as much.

Maxmaxima91 wrote: So it still thins.. just not as much.
    Ah, that makes good sence
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.