Clarification on track width for different year z's

• Clarification on track width for different year z's

On on searching for information on the track width in the FSM I noticed the difference listed between years. What I didn't know is that the rear is 20mm more than the fronts for each year. I found this while looking because my front wheels look sunken a little even with 25mm spacers up front. As it turns out I'm using 84 or 85 front tubes/spindles so my front track was 20mm narrower than my 87's to begin with. Anyways here's the specs.
    Just general info for anyone who may need it. In the FSM it's under the GI section: vehicle identification information. It's listed as "Tread" not Track. Strange, but whatever. 87-89's have different specs for turbo and non turbo. non turbo's have a wider track than the turbos probably to make up for the difference in wheel size, offset and tire size.

84-85 :
    Front: 1,415mm (55.7in)
    Rear: 1435mm (56.5in)

87-89 Non-Turbo:
    Front: 1,455mm (57.3in)
    Rear: 14,75mm (58.1in)

87-89 Turbo:
    Front: 1435mm (56.5in)
    Rear: 1,455mm (57.3in)

Re: Clarification on track width for different year z's

So they 86's have the wider track along with the 87-89? good to know.

In the rear where does the extra width come, Is it in the rear stub axles?
    I put 88t control arms and struts into the front of my 86na2t to bring the front wheels out. If I put the 86 struts back in would the width change?
    The rear suspension was jacked so I didn't use it and left the stock 86na control arms and rear hubs in.
    Swapped the springs and LSD in though.
    It looked like I would be able to slap the 88T rear brakes and rotors right on to my 86 and I would have but one caliper was seized.
    Denis Gagné
    aka VGwagon
    GM specialized licensed technician

69 510 VG30 powered wagon
    73 240z shell VG30et in progress
    86 300zx NA2T

So with AE and 86 Turbo wheels still being 16x7 but a offset of 20 vs 30 it would add an even wider track width than an 87-89 Turbo by 10MM per side so a total of 20MM larger front and back from an 87-89 Turbo assuming the rest of the suspension is the same to fit the wider fenders.

On a side note a 88 200ZR has the same track as an 84-85, so regardless of the slightly wider fenders track remains the same.
    http://www.carfolio.com/specificatio…ar/?car=194722

no wonder I like my 89 with AE wheels on it. As for the 200ZR I know the track width is the same, my point was I was under the impression 200ZR fenders had a little more flare than the 84-85 fenders, which would allow for a wider track. But that assumption was because I remember a few years back that's what the general thought was.

Now i'm confused. Where is track measured from? I thought it was from the mounting face on the hub/brake rotor. Basicly where the mounting face of the wheel fits against.
    Where can i find the dimensions from hub face to hub face? Thats what I was looking for to begin with. :-?

You learn something new every day thanks z-bum

Is there anywhere in the FSM that will give you the measurement from hub face to hub face or will I just have to go by track width and do a little math with the wheel size and offset for different years to find what i'm looking for?

Thank you! I was making it way more complicated in my head than it needed to be.