Any tricks to remove front strut inserts???

• Any tricks to remove front strut inserts???

Hello i have a 1984 300zx turbo with adjustable suspension. I got eibachs and tokico illuminas for my car, and i already did the rear and now moving to the front. I got the whole thing out but i cant seem to be able to remove the strut insert. Also no fluid came out of it, it seems to be all dry in there. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

ad some trans fluid, let set for a while then tap strut housings with a plastic/rubber hammer

1988 300ZX Turbo, Shiro Special #760
    1988 300ZX Turbo Automatic (wife's car)
    1991 Hard-body 2WD

http://zccw.org/zccw/?page_id=1215

cool thank you it has been soaking in wd40 ill put some atf and try it again. I will let you know guys if it worked. THanks

Try to pry out the o-ring from the strut once the gland nut is off… I find the turbo ones are much tighter

Ah yes, the O-ring will prevent it from coming out. Good call.

1988 300ZX Turbo, Shiro Special #760
    1988 300ZX Turbo Automatic (wife's car)
    1991 Hard-body 2WD

http://zccw.org/zccw/?page_id=1215

best I have found- once spring, etc, and gland nut are off, lock strut shaft in a vise, with strut tube below, then get a nice big hammer, and knock on the lower section of the tube/knuckle to free it down from the strut! sometimes they get rusty inside, and stick together!
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

A steady pressure with some light taps works more effectively than just trying to hammer it out

ok so i tryed different methods. What actually seems to work better with simple tools is using a 14mm wrench and put it between the strut nut and the actual cartridge and then with a hammer start tapping until it frees up. Probably the best way would have been with a slide hammer but i dont have one at my house. Putting some atf on it to lubricate seem to help a lot too. Thanks for your reply guys.