anyone ever shorten and rethread a strut shaft?

• anyone ever shorten and rethread a strut shaft?

the kybs in my car are pretty much brand new, and I don't really want to buy new inserts atm.
    i was thinking about getting the shock shaft shortened and rethreaded at a machine shop to gain some travel in the shock while still being low
    i have ordered QA1 springs, A1 racing steel sleeves and adjuster nuts.
    i also have some upper perches and s13 camber plates from the s13 coilovers.
    any input on shortening the shafts? i am planning on sectioning the strut tubes later on but i cant afford new strut inserts for a long while

You already have s13 coilovers and you want to hack together a ground-control type setup with them and some kyb's ?

sold the fronts for the s13 coilovers, just have some pieces left. to bad you didn't come out with your adapters 6 months ago.... the s13 coilovers weren't anything special and the rears are already on the back of the car!

Sorry, I'll try to be more psychic next time

Well in New Zealand people do it all the time, usually done on a screw cutting lathe by an engineer type.

Give him your inserts tell him it needs to be identical but XXmm shorter.
    85 Turbo Slick Top
    __________________________________________________ _____

G-E;336325 wrote: Sorry, I'll try to be more psychic next time
    you better damn it!

james;336337 wrote: Well in New Zealand people do it all the time, usually done on a screw cutting lathe by an engineer type.

Give him your inserts tell him it needs to be identical but XXmm shorter.
    awesome thanks james!

I thought about doing this when I built my front setup. Ended up buying shorter inserts. In to see how this ends up
    http://z31performance.com/showthread…board-Zed-Pics

in theory it should work.

but we will see

Miata people do this all the time. There are numerous shops that should have this experience. Any local SCCA board should be able to guide you in the correct direction.
    86na - BlueZ
    Shiro #366 - Kouki Monster
    85t - Mr Tickles

adamvann3;336603 wrote: Miata people do this all the time. There are numerous shops that should have this experience. Any local SCCA board should be able to guide you in the correct direction.
    no doubt, i never thought of that! thanks man!

ps your car is the secks

Old school way of lowering without blowing out your shocks. Has been done 1000's of times. Edit: Guess that I should have said it's an old school way of lowering when accompanied by cut springs
    Originally posted by adamvann3
    Hmm I normally jack off my rear x-member.

Ground control does this too if you ask…

Not trying to thread jack here… I am pretty sure I am trying to do the same thing but with an extra step?

I do not understand how shortening the "shock shaft" (piston rod) would change travel in the shock. Based on function would it not simply adjust the resting height of the shock itself allowing you to lower the car without 'preloading' the shock absorber?

That is exactly what it is meant to do. If you lower the car without changing the strut or modifying it, you will greatly reduce the life of it.
    Originally posted by adamvann3
    Hmm I normally jack off my rear x-member.