Can this be fixed?

• Can this be fixed?

So I began the restoration project of what I thought was a Shiro in very good shape…and after pulling the motor in preparation for a thorough paint job, I made a gruesome discovery…pretty severe rust in a God-awful location…

I don't know exactly what the area is called…but basically it's the cover for the area where the AC takes in fresh air from the outside…also covers the windshield wiper hinges…

Had it been any other part of the car, simple body work would do the trick…fender, quarter panel, floorboard even could easily be cut from another car and welded on to this one…

but this piece…wow, looks like a real nightmare…spares of common parts for our cars are hard enough to find…I imagine this will be near impossible…

it's tack-welded into place and is extremely thin and intricately shaped so sheet metal replication would be very complicated…

I hate to say that it almost seems like a deal breaker for the restoration as the cost of trying to get this piece alone fabricated might not be worth it....

Has anyone else encountered this and if so, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

damn wrong forum

apologies

Yuck! Im not a fabricator. Is that metal supposed to go under the windshield? I think the easiest way would be to remove the windshield and some of the dash and cut a piece out from a scrap car. All is a crap load of work.

Im glad in California we are rust free
    My Build Thread

Easy fix. Find a parts car with that section in good shape. Pull the windshield from it and use a spot-weld drill bit to drill out all of the spot welds. Do the same to your car. Spot weld the "new" one in, and replace the windshield after paint.
    Originally posted by adamvann3
    Hmm I normally jack off my rear x-member.

Looks as if the windshield was replaced long ago, and damaged the paint. Never seen that happen before on a Z31.
    sigpic