Replacement Ball Joints, press fit

• Replacement Ball Joints, press fit

Anyone else have issues with replacement ball joints? This is the second time the press fit was not enough to keep them in place.

1st time I thought I may have bent my LCA when popping them out or installing them, but the second time around I paid close attention not to overkill or bend anything. They press in and feel fine off the car, but once installed and loaded the they can slide around with the only think retaining them is the c-clip.

Seems to me the OD of the ball joint needs to be a few hairs more to provide a better press fit.

For the record this I have done 6 ball joints now in 5 LCAs and have seen this problem twice. Moog and Becks Arnley brands both.
    86na - BlueZ
    Shiro #366 - Kouki Monster
    85t - Mr Tickles

I hope not because lower control arms from Nissan with already pressed in ball joints would be an arm and a leg.

Your tolerance will change each time you replace the balljoint you kow that right? Everytime you press one out, you shave some material off, everytime you press one in, you expand the lip a bit

With the balljoint out, you could hammer/press on the edges a little to have them expand inwards a touch, give them a little sanding for any burrs you create, then press in the new one

Yeah, typically I am pressing out original ball joints and pressing in new ones. Tolerance shouldn't change that much, at least not the amount it should have being an interference joint.

Just pissing me off as this is the second time it has happened to me over the various control arms I have modified the past few years. I always end up "crimping" the LCA to the ball joint to ensure no movement. Ball joints can still be removed and replaced if needed.
    86na - BlueZ
    Shiro #366 - Kouki Monster
    85t - Mr Tickles

Yea I've seen a number of control arm sides squished in