TSS solid crossmember bushings question

• TSS solid crossmember bushings question

Hi everyone,

I was hoping I could get some help with a potential issue I've encountered while replacing the crossmember bushings in my 1986 300zx turbo. I've removed the old bushings and sleeves from the crossmember and I've test fitted the solid aluminum replacements I'll be using but they seem to have some slop and play when placed in the crossmember. The units I'm using I purchased many years ago from the specialty shop (dan and mary). On my bushings the diameter of the lower puck that fits in the hole is 72.18mm or 2.844 inches measured with my caliper. How tight are these units supposed to fit? It almost seems as though I should have left the sleeve in the holes and that would make up for the play the bushings have in the holes. Any help would be much appreciated. I'm assuming they go in loose and are meant to be like that. Everything snugs up when it all gets tightened up?

Thanks,
    ​Remo

You're not supposed to remove the sleeves…its a stupid design really.

Though no one should really expect that Dan had a clue what he was doing.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Wrap them tight with vinyl tape? Dunno what you can do at this point

Interesting. Thanks. I'm sure there is a solution. Maybe repair the sleeve and put it back in? Or use a urethane of some kind to set them in there? I'm leaning towards repairing the sleeve because it's not really that damaged.

Ditch the solid bushings and get the polyuerthane ones. The poly ones were designed to fit tightly without the sleeves. There is virtually no difference in performance betewen the solids and the polyuerthane ones other thant the extra noise/vibrations you would get with the solids.

rayjay;n770756 wrote: Interesting. Thanks. I'm sure there is a solution. Maybe repair the sleeve and put it back in? Or use a urethane of some kind to set them in there? I'm leaning towards repairing the sleeve because it's not really that damaged.
    I wouldn't waste my time in re-installing the sleeves. Pick up a new x-member, go with polyurethane.

Do the ASCO ones use the OEM sleeve?
    86na - BlueZ
    Shiro #366 - Kouki Monster
    85t - Mr Tickles

Ya, it looks like the sleeves can be saved but I'm going to order some poly bushings instead.

If you want the subframe ends or the whole thing let me know. Scraper is grabbing it tonight or tomorrow afternoon… Not like I will get much money out of it (190/ton) so I am not looking to make profit, just the raw cost. (Probably not worth it unless you just want the ends or you live in the PDX area. Sounds like you found an alternative anyway.)