Brake Hard Lines Rounded Off Nuts

• Brake Hard Lines Rounded Off Nuts

This hasn't happened to me before, but I'm looking for some "what did you do in this situation" examples.

I went to replace my brake master and some gorilla tightened the shit out of the flare nuts going into the master cylinder. One was already rounded off for sure, the others rounded off when I used my flare nut wrench. I had to use vice grips to get them out which further smashed up the nuts. Since the fittings on the lines are now toast, I need to either fix these lines or get new ones. Problem with fixing them is the first bend is too close to the BMC, so I don't have enough room to cut the flare and put the new fittings on, then re-flare.

I see O'reilly's sells straight tubing that you can buy and bend yourself. Is this the only option besides hitting a salvage yard? I don't have a tube bender, but it looks like I might need to get one. Frustrated because a 2 hour job has now left the car up on jack stands until next weekend…

Which is my best option?
    1. buy new from Nissan (probably no longer available)
    2. Pull some off of a Z in the salvage yard
    3. Go to O'reillys and order their lines. I'll only need a tube bender at that point

Anyone know the thread size of the fittings?

Option #2

1988 300ZX Turbo, Shiro Special #760
    1988 300ZX Turbo Automatic (wife's car)
    1991 Hard-body 2WD

http://zccw.org/zccw/?page_id=1215

Id get some off another z. I hate it when people don't use the right tool to get those fittings off. Flare nut wrench is the only tool to use, however get a good one at sears. The other ones at the auto stores aren't strong enough and wont hold and will round them out. I also use some heat around the fitting as well as penetrating fluid for older cars to help. I have never had one bad fitting ever.

And never super man that fitting on either. I hate that. Thanks to people who slightly round those There are times I had to heat the crap out of it, grab a vice grip and turn it, but I just make sure that the vice doesn't slip. Then I file down the fitting before putting it back together to help the next guy who takes it off.
    My Build Thread

I had one get screwed up by the BMC. I just bent the line straight, cut and flared, then bent it back.
    Prius… because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car…

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

I have no idea if they are still available but did you even try to price these at Nissan? I had to replace all the rear brake lines and fuel lines in my 90 Camry and ordered them from Toyota. Front to back for 3 lines and a vent line was less than $100 so you might be surprised.

Although the lines were priced reasonably, they are no longer available from Nissan. Time to hit the salvage yard.