Crossmember removal

• Crossmember removal

In the process of swapping my na crossmember to turbo and the control arms are blocking the crossmember from coming out. Do I have to remove them or is there a way around this?

I don't remember having to remove them. I just disconnected the power steering lines, two nuts on each side that attach to the frame, and then the motor mounts if you have the engine in yet. I feel like I am forgetting something. If I think of it, I'll post again.
    Build Log Link: http://z31performance.com/showthread…-VG33-HX35-WIP

I've disconnected the power steering lines, the four bolts that attach it to the frame, and the two bolts that connect to the control arms. The control arms just don't seem to give me enough clearance to get the crossmember out.

You have to unbolt the tension rods from the control arms to get them to flex enough to let the crossmember out. We ran into this when I swapped the crossmember in a shell I was selling. I actually left the rack in the car and pulled the x-member out from under it, then put the non-turbo one in it's place.
    Prius… because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car…

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

Yeah they were flexing just not enough. I will try unbolting the tension rods. Thanks for the tip.

You're probably going to want 2 people, and at least 1 pry bar. 1 person in the wheel well to man handle the control arm out of the way, the other to hand the x-member.
    Prius… because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car…

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build