Rear Spring Replacement

• Rear Spring Replacement

Hey guys I have been re building my 300zx I bought a few months ago finally on suspension after doing fuel problems then brake problems. I am trying to replace the Rear springs on my car and cant get them off. I am using spring compressors but it seems that its not compressing it enough to be able to pop off. I looked for a how to but cant find one. if you know of one can you comment the link. if not does anyone have some advice and maybe pictures.
    Thanks,

RS Man

Did you pull the shocks.
    Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
    if it fails, fuck it.
    at least you gave it a whirl.

You could always un-bolt the rear shocks and let the rear subframe weight lower itself and from there work the spring out. Thats what I had to do. I also had the diff unbolted at the same time so there was nothing supporting the subframe in that area. There may be other options, but this is how mine came out easiest

I had the shock unbolted not the diff… I will have to try that unless anyone else has any ideas?

We did this process on mine.

Remove the axle from the side with the spring you're trying to remove.
    Place a jack under the control arm, and jack until you can remove the rear shock bolt.
    Very slowly lower jack. Make sure you have something to keep the spring from jumping out if you don't have the spring compressors.

Got them out and in that way…
    __________________________________________________ ___________________
    "Aim towards the Enemy." --
    Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher

86 N/A:Rebuilt Autotragic, Cat Delete, PRW-2, Poly Bushings, MSA sway bars, Pioneer HU and Speakers, Sleepy Eyes
    Current 0-60: 10.0 flat =[

No need to unbolt the diff when I did it.

Unbolt the shock. Then get the scissor jack from the spare tool kit and wedge it between the top of the control arm and the body (be careful of the brake lines). Give it a few turns which will push the control arm down. Doing this and using spring compressors you will be able to pull the spring out no problem.
    Justin
    1986 NA 2-seater
    SCCA Solo E-Street Prepared #31
    Race Videos
    Build Thread

okay good stuff ill give those a shot this weekend hopefully last thing before the car can drive on the street

I have never had issues removing the rear springs before.
    Never had to unbolt the shocks or diff.

I have cheap harbor freight spring compressors and they work just fine.
    I had to get them each half way around the spring so that its an equal 50/50 compression.

But I suppose to make it easier would be to unbolt the bottom of the shock.

Keep in mind the reason my diff was unbolted was because it was being pulled to swap in LSD carrier. No other reason. I have no doubt that using the proper spring compressor will work. Unbolting the shocks should just allow for less spring compression to get the spring out.

Unbolting the bottom of the shock and then using your weight to push the trailing arm down should give the spring enough room to remove it without the need for a spring compressor.

2001 Mazda Miata LS
    also a 1989 Nissan 240SX

50th AE Build Thread SOLD 2015

Don't forget to disconnect the swaybar as well as the lower shock mount before you push it down.
    Life's short
    Go fast
    Have a blast
    Leave a good looking corpse

Dont need spring compressors, with the shock unbolted from below, and the end link undone, just a little push down on the control arm, and the spring will FALL OUT of it's hole!
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA… that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

SMH. I didn't realize there's a rear sway bar? SO obviously I didn't undo the end links. It was a PITA. HUGE PITA. But doable.