G-E's crazy rear multilink idea

• G-E's crazy rear multilink idea

Re: G-E's crazy rear multilink idea

hows that going to work.

the control arms won't be able to move up and down.

Anyone try a rear end like this? A ladder bar system with a track bar to keep it centered? I do recall seeing pics of the z that was back halfed, but I don't remember seeing details shots. Has anyone tried it this way? I don't know what kind of travel you'd get with such short arms. I'm thinking about taking my buddies spare straight axle rear end from a 90's Jeep Cherokee and seeing how it would fit/move in this fashion when I replace my busted rear end. If this worked it looks like a pretty easy way to convert to a solid axle (umm, 9 inch :lol: ), but if it looks this easy it probably won't work well. Any thoughts?
    1984 NA to T Digi-Dash, Morgan's Cam Gears @ -3, Team Green Air Filter, Top Mount Intercooler, Turbo XS Boost Controller, Greddy Type RS BOV, CM 3" Down Pipe, NGK Iridium Spark Plugs, and Maxima E-Fans.

1984 NA 2+2 - New Project Solid Axle Rear - Former Best 1/4 mile 13.452 @105.77mph.

you don't want a live axle. it would suck for windy stuff.

When my z is actually running I pretty much only drive to the drag strip and back with the occasional around town trip, so twisties are not an issue for me.
    1984 NA to T Digi-Dash, Morgan's Cam Gears @ -3, Team Green Air Filter, Top Mount Intercooler, Turbo XS Boost Controller, Greddy Type RS BOV, CM 3" Down Pipe, NGK Iridium Spark Plugs, and Maxima E-Fans.

1984 NA 2+2 - New Project Solid Axle Rear - Former Best 1/4 mile 13.452 @105.77mph.

84z31 wrote: the control arms won't be able to move up and down.
    correct, they swing..... and if there are three positive attachment pivots then you can control the swing direction, there is actually a fourth however (swaybar)

anyway if you linear thinkers missed it, the idea was to link camber side to side, like the front wheels when turning, the outer one is negative and the inner is positive.... on the front this is controlled by caster and strut orientation, in the rear we have to be more creative

If you are going custom, why not design one with an upper arm and coilover mounting to allow larger wheels.
    Chuck Stong
    300+ Parts and Performance owner
    http://www.300-plus.com
    2002 ZCOT president and always active member

My buddy was working on making his 87' N/A into a drag car but he gave up on it in favor of a 76 Celica GT for the project.
    This was as far as he got…

His new drag project.

He's got the car turned into a skin and was working on building a tube frame for it before he moved shops. Now it sits collecting dust until he finishes rebuilding his 76' Fairlady Z.

Firehawk wrote: If you are going custom, why not design one with an upper arm and coilover mounting to allow larger wheels.
    in theory a cheap-enough weld on kit can be made, some bars and bushings + weld tabs, instructions, the idea was to keep as much of what you already have, you can keep the rear suspension components actually, but coilover is no harder than drilling a new hole already

going all custom would be nice but the precision required and complexity of the rear arms means you'd more than likely have to replace it with something non-z (maybe non-nissan), you'd need to start with an upright like say audi's which has lower/upper/rear attachment points already and rework or create a new hub to our specs to work with the upright… and you'd still need the central point behind the diff to locate the toe-arms which means more body bracketry

my "idea" would only need 3 bars with bushings, a new diff mount with toe arm attachments, a few tabs to weld on.... and a lot of cutting of old shit

WD21 Pathfinders already use a 4 link with panhard bar. Get a later one with lsd and disk brakes if you want a solid axle setup.
    http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

I was expecting some comments on the design.... but all I get is chatter about solid axles

someone familiar with chassic setups chime in with something worth reading

would be alot less work just to use a multilink from a 240SX.
    1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

In your pic G-E, the bottom or rear most bar looks like it will kill the whole setup. From my point of view, it looks like a rear tierod assy. Now if the left wheel were to go up over a bump, the "bar" would pull on the right wheel, causing it to toe out badly. Or maybe I am looking at your rendering wrong.

Now if you used your redesigned lower control that is in the pic, and attached a Civic style upper control arm, you could have a double "wishbone" setup very similar to the Hondas. And the upper control arm could be made very simple and could incorporate adjustable camber. I cant find any pics of the Civics rear setup because I don't have time at work to look without getting in trouble.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

the two bent arms would ideally be attached to a common substructure at the back around where the diff is to help locate the trailing arms, any "pull" on one side would almost entirely affect camber and not toe (ok a little but..)

it's hard to see but the bent rods are actually "upper" wishbones in a sense, they are also forward of the halfshaft so as to give it some horizontal triangulation

wish bone style rear suspension FTW