What are you running for STOCK SIZED (225/50/16) tires?

• What are you running for STOCK SIZED (225/50/16) tires?

What are you running for STOCK SIZED (225/50/16) tires?

I find myself needing new tires and I haven't bought anything for my mostly stock 86-T since 1998 when I bought my Potenza S-03 Pole Positions.
    Searching for opinions here on the forums and all I can find are old posts.

Looking at Yokohama S.Drive's, BFG G-Force Sport Comp2, Conti Extreme Contact DW and Toyo Proxes. One tire store is pushing the Toyos and Contis and another one suggesting the BFGs. Reviews are marginal at best.

I don't really need an all season tire because I really don't drive my Z in the rain that much anymore since it's no longer my daily. I'm not lead-footed and don't do burnouts but enjoy spirited driving on twisty New England roads so I'd like something with a stiffer sidewall.

This has definitely been beaten to death and I know it's all subject to personal opinion anyway, but wanted real world Z experience with current products.

I'm also starting to look at replacement tires - my Hankook V12 Evo's did pretty well for the price, but they're starting to show wear after a few years and it looks like they're not offered in stock size anymore. After the funcross event in Branson, it became evident that the car would benefit from stickier tire anyway.

The tires that I'm currently looking at are Bridgestone Potenza RE-71 (although I would prefer the RE-11 but am afraid they've been discontinued), and the Direzza ZII Star-spec. They may be a bit lower tread-rating than you're initially looking at, but I've heard great things about both. And if your car is like mine and sees minimal rain exposure, tires with more grip are better for the backroads anyway.
    '86 300ZXT GLL
    '78 Datsun 280Z BP
    '11 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD

I love the specs on those two, and it makes sense if I never do drive in the rain. When I dailied my car when I was in FL I ran SP-8000s so I'm all too familiar with a low tread rating (also had P600s on my 85-T). I really like how those two felt going into cornering much better than my current S03's and both were great in the rain but the P600s were awesome, despite all the reports of beads breaking or whatnot I never had an issue.
    While it would be great to go for a stickier tire like you said, I think I need to find a better wearing tire without compromising performance if there is such a thing anymore.
    I just got an email from a good friend that runs the nasioc subaru website and he says lots of the sti guys like the DW contis.
    NTB says there's a 30-day ride guarantee so,..... Just hate to go thru that hassle and BS that usually goes with it.