Tokico Illumina front strut installation trouble

• Tokico Illumina front strut installation trouble

On my 86T, I am just getting around to installing my Illumina front struts. The passenger side cartridge went in quite easily, I did not really have much trouble with that. However, I was doing the drivers side today and that damn thing has about 1/8" to go before the gland packing can reach the threaded section. For fear of causing some damage, I have held off on trying anything else. What have you guys done when installing these? I looked at my FSM, spent some time on Google, but I would like to hear from some of you as to how you did it. I realize it is something as simple as getting it down the tube, but I don't like taking chances on screwing suspension/brake components. Thanks.
    1986 300ZX Turbo - Sold
    1991 Toyota MR2 - RIP
    2007 BMW 335i - Daily driver

Did you drain all the old fluid out of the tube first?

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

Yes I did. I followed the procedures outlined in the FSM.
    1986 300ZX Turbo - Sold
    1991 Toyota MR2 - RIP

Based on what I am reading and seeing, these should not have to be forced into place. Is this correct?
    1986 300ZX Turbo - Sold
    1991 Toyota MR2 - RIP

There should be no issue.

Make sure the O-ring isn't gumming up you sliding it down.
    It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo…

I would get in there with a flash light and made sure there is no debris lodged down in the bottom. Also, make absolutely sure that the tube is not dented.

1985 Nissan 300ZX 2+2- My first Z, back in the family
    1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo RIP 4/87 - 4/28/2011
    Under Construction: 1986 Nissan 300ZX NA2T Slicktop
    Originally posted by Tempestas
    Well, one of the t-tops wasn't latched real well… God only knows where that t-top flew off to at 150+ mph. Didn't scratch the car or anything, just a boom and it was gone. I sure as hell didn't stop to see where it went. I didn't see any stories on the news… so that's a plus.

Update: I took the strut housing and cleaned the hell out of it. The cartridge went in much easier and I managed to everything put together. However, if I ever need to take it out, it seems like that won't be a very fun job as the last little bit was still pretty tight. I decided simply cleaning it when I took the old one out wasn't enough, it needed a damn good scrubbing and it worked from there. Thank you all for your input.
    1986 300ZX Turbo - Sold
    1991 Toyota MR2 - RIP

sometimes the cartridge needs to be sanded just a bit. Removal is easier than you think. Just thread the top nut over a large washer and hang that in a vice. Tap gently on the spindle portion of the housing (or on the caliper mounting ear) and it will usually slide right off. Apply a bit of heat/penetrant as needed if needed. This will also keep the shaft from getting damaged

Gregmatic wrote: sometimes the cartridge needs to be sanded just a bit. Removal is easier than you think. Just thread the top nut over a large washer and hang that in a vice. Tap gently on the spindle portion of the housing (or on the caliper mounting ear) and it will usually slide right off. Apply a bit of heat/penetrant as needed if needed. This will also keep the shaft from getting damaged
    I'm going to have to remember that one, sounds pretty good to me. Thanks again!
    1986 300ZX Turbo - Sold
    1991 Toyota MR2 - RIP

Another thought is to apply a little anti-seize on the tube before sliding it in..
    Not too much to cause trouble, but something to keep things from sticking together..
    These are good tips, as I also have a set of illumina's waiting to go into a set of turbo tubes..
    Kevin
    ---------------------------------------
    1986 NA 5sp - Bone stock, but in good shape