Z32 Calipers....Ceramic coated and rebuilt (write up?)

Racinjitter wrote: One question… Isn't ceramic coating for keeping heat in? Not dissipating heat?
    Good point and I thought about it. First of all, keep in mind that the heat comes from the disc/pads, then it's transfered to the pistons, brake fluid and lastly the caliper....so it's not like what most people think "the calipers get hot"…they do, but not like the rest of the system. Anyways, there are two theories:

1) Caliper heats up, ceramic keeps it in, temperatures keep rising....bad thing.

2) Calipers heat up, they reach the "cold" ceramic, they cool off....good thing. For this theory there is a curve though, because it gets to the point where "if" the ceramic gets hot (takes a long time) then it would take the same time to cool off, so the calipers would stay hot longer…this is the part of the curve where the positive becomes negative. Kind of like a rock, it's really hard for it to get hot, but once it does it takes forever to get cool again.

Either way, the shop told me that this coating is made for calipers and that it should actually lower the temperatures of the brake system.
    Any "educated" opinions on this???

I can assure you all that Matico does not track his car or beat it up for that matter. If the calipers were to have a problem with getting too hot, I doubt it would reach that level.

1985 Nissan 300ZX 2+2- My first Z, back in the family
    1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo RIP 4/87 - 4/28/2011
    Under Construction: 1986 Nissan 300ZX NA2T Slicktop
    Originally posted by Tempestas
    Well, one of the t-tops wasn't latched real well… God only knows where that t-top flew off to at 150+ mph. Didn't scratch the car or anything, just a boom and it was gone. I sure as hell didn't stop to see where it went. I didn't see any stories on the news… so that's a plus.

[quote]matico40 wrote:
    Originally posted by MADMIKE
    I am going to rebuild my 30mm z32 brakes soon. How much did the rebuild run you?
    the bill from courtesy was ~$450, but that includes all new 8 pistons.
    Total, I probably spent around $1K for everything, including the messed up powdercoating.
    HOLY FUCK DUDE! Those look pretty fucking good, but I don't know about $1000 good! I guess it is a good piece of mind knowing that your brake calipers are essentially brand new but DAMN, I bought mine rebuilt from checker for $100 a piece. Or they sell them for $150 a piece rebuilt WITHOUT CORES.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20… underway for summertime daily driver.

[quote]SATAN wrote: [quote=matico40]
    Originally posted by MADMIKE
    I am going to rebuild my 30mm z32 brakes soon. How much did the rebuild run you?
    the bill from courtesy was ~$450, but that includes all new 8 pistons.
    Total, I probably spent around $1K for everything, including the messed up powdercoating.

HOLY FUCK DUDE! Those look pretty fucking good, but I don't know about $1000 good! I guess it is a good piece of mind knowing that your brake calipers are essentially brand new but DAMN, I bought mine rebuilt from checker for $100 a piece. Or they sell them for $150 a piece rebuilt WITHOUT CORES.
    I know, I know…but my pickyness has a price. Like I said before, I know with all the money I put on this car I could have a 500whp beast but I rather have what I have "my way" rather than much more but done in a "mediocre way".