Installing Kouki Tension Rods

• Installing Kouki Tension Rods

I searched, couldn't find anything, smack me if its been covered somewhere.

I need to replace my strut rod bushings in my 84T. I have a 88N/A as well. I would prefer to buy poly bushings for the 88 style strut rods and swap them into my 84T. For some reason i remember them being a different length or something because the front control arms are different lengths correct? If this is the case, can i just swap the strut rods over without control arm or strut housing swap as well? Thanks

Re: Strut Rod swap

Seems to me I remember you'll need to swap the LCA's but I could be wrong

1988 300ZX Turbo, Shiro Special #760
    1988 300ZX Turbo Automatic (wife's car)
    1991 Hard-body 2WD

http://zccw.org/zccw/?page_id=1215

The holes in the lca need to be drilled larger. That is all.
    86na2t + holset

feedback
    viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6114&hilit=andrew+gardner

Kouki Tension Rod?

You need:

*88T brackets, bushings, and rods
    *Drill holes in LCA slightly larger.
    *Watch for cracks in LCA.
    "produce first.talk second."

Mike_GruiZinga wrote: Kouki Tension Rod?

You need:

*88T brackets, bushings, and rods
    *Drill holes in LCA slightly larger.
    *Watch for cracks in LCA.
    Why cracks? Has this happened in the past?

It's been said that putting poly bushings in the later strut rods make them too stiff
    and create stress cracks in the LCA. I'm not sure under what conditions though.
    Somebody posted images at one time, it's been awhile though.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Maybe just OEM replacement bushings in 88-89 strut rods is a better idea then. But it sounds like the lengths and everything between early and late styles are the same ya? Cool

Yes the lengths are the same.

When using Poly LCA bushings, and Poly Tension rod bushing, more stress (than OEM) is placed on that joint, under hard acceleration or braking. In the past, people have noticed stress cracks around the bolt holes.

A strut rod is the shiny steel cylinder shaped rod extending from your suspension damper.
    "produce first.talk second."

Beck posted up the pics long ago. Some people go as far as to weld in a thin sheet of steel on the LCA around the holes to give more strength.

1986 300ZX Turbo…sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R…new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed…daily

NissanEgg wrote: Beck posted up the pics long ago. Some people go as far as to weld in a thin sheet of steel on the LCA around the holes to give more strength.
    Yup, it seems to me it should be fairly easy to either box in your control arm or do something to displace the extra stress scene.

Not sure about earlier models but I am fairly sure that the factory had an extra piece of metal on the bottom of the LCA where the TENSION ROD is mounted.
    86na - BlueZ
    Shiro #366 - Kouki Monster
    85t - Mr Tickles

Z_Karma wrote: It's been said that putting poly bushings in the later strut rods make them too stiff
    and create stress cracks in the LCA. I'm not sure under what conditions though.
    Somebody posted images at one time, it's been awhile though.
    I'm pretty sure that was the early style rod that had the most problems. Which makes sense to me… I'd think the later style could move more freely than the early, bolt in a hole flex this shit design.
    Feedback- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19840

Just went with the early style rods and used poly bushings. I see how stress in this area is large, the early style ones don't really pivot much as the control arms move up and down, causing stress in the area where the rod bolts to the control arm and on the control arm bushings, hopefully i wont have any problems. And if i do then i will weld in a reinforcement and replace the control arm bushings, done.