Wilwood Superlites

FYI: My Six pistons feel about the same or lighter than my 1-piston factory crap. But that was just holding them in my hand.
    Elitist Prick Black Z owner.
    1986 300zx Turbo
    2011 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x2 EcoBOOST
    1985 Toyota 4Runner, locked, lifted, geared, uglied.

[quote]ZFast88Z wrote:
    Originally posted by TurboDreams
    a caliper is a caliper, it is not rotating mass so it removes nothing more than say ripping out your carpet..

You are so wrong its unbelievable. Think sprung vs unsprung weight.
    He's not completely wrong. Removal of equal rotational weight always > removal of equal sprung/unsprung weight. Yes, removal of unsprung weight > removal of sprung. Less rotational weight pwns all though. 8)
    Shiro #93
    Mods: A/C Removal, Custom Lightweight W-series crank pulley, K&N Air Filter, Electric Fan, EGR/AIV/CC removal

the weight won't affect acceleration/deceleration on a strait smooth road, but the lighter the weight your suspension has to push back down the faster it can react and the more time with a solid contact to the road, which will result in better braking and acceleration over any bumps or real world driving. When talking about weight with brakes it's not for weight reductions of overall weight, it's for as mentioned the sprung/unsprung weight.

z

TurboDreams wrote: From what I've heard they are as light as the name says but keep in mind a caliper is a caliper, it is not rotating mass so it removes nothing more than say ripping out your carpet. I'd worry more about rotors which are power sapping rotational mass. Not to mention early Z32TT calipers are made of aluminum so they are very light from the factory, though from what I've heard Nissan switched to iron because or durability reasons.

They are still unsprung weight.

You don't just count the stuff that goes round and round.
    You count everything that is under the supporting mechanism that elevates the chassis.

Basically, everything under the coil spring is "unsprung", if I'm not mistaken. It has a way bigger impact/effect than removing your carpet. It's the same as switching to a lighter and strong wheel to save weight in the areas that absorb most of the weight transfer themselves and are allowed to have the suspension do it's work with less effort and allows the individual parts to act a heck of a lot faster.

About the only thing you could save weight on there would be the Rotors, Calipers, and Wheels.

so a caliper is not just the same as any 'ol caliper, and pad surface area isn't the only thing you should be concerned with. weight of every piece is important.

zmech wrote: Yes, I prefer the Wilwoods over the Z32 caliper. I have both. One on one car and the other on another car. Both Z31s.
    And, the Z32 caliper does not fit a 13 inch rotor since it was not designed for a 13 inch rotor. You will be wasting pad hanging off the top.
    Can you list where you bought your calipers from and what model/rotor combo you used?

I would like to upgrade soon instead of replace. or if you can PM me…

Willwoods site is not working.

Some cars, like older Jags used inbound brake calipers to reduce the unsprung weight. There's a huge difference in rotational weight and unsprung weight. Wheels happen to affect both, calipers are unsprung weight. Basically think of it as every time you hit a bump, or there's body roll, or really any suspension movement it pushes up on the springs and shocks. The more weight is pushing up on the springs/shocks the more effort it takes to push that weight back down again, so the lighter the weight the less effort required to push it back down and it can in turn react faster. The faster your suspension can react the more time you have traction both for acceleration and deceleration, and the more time you have proper balance of the car. What it all comes down to is that anything exerting force on the springs/shocks is unsprung weight. Rotational weight is weight exerted to an axis point, in most cases people are referring to the axle. Such as the wheels, rotors, even the lug nuts, but all those rotational weights from the hub outward is also an unsprung weight. You are killing 2 birds with 1 stone with those which is why they are so effective. That's my rant for the day, I am expecting the technical geniuses to correct me on this, but that's my understanding of them.

Richard_85ZXT wrote: Some cars, like older Jags used inbound brake calipers to reduce the SPRUNG weight. Correction. Outboard brakes are unsprung, inboard brakes are sprung.

Richard_85ZXT wrote:
    That's my rant for the day, I am expecting the technical geniuses to correct me on this, but that's my understanding of them.
    :lol:
    Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
    Originally posted by BoostedMamma
    Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

lol, if that's all I'll take it

^And so did deuce and a halves. Not for such "glamorous" reasons though… :nanan?re
    Feedback- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19840

Richard_85ZXT wrote: Some cars, like older Jags used inbound brake calipers to reduce the unsprung weight. There's a huge difference in rotational weight and unsprung weight. Wheels happen to affect both, calipers are unsprung weight. Basically think of it as every time you hit a bump, or there's body roll, or really any suspension movement it pushes up on the springs and shocks. The more weight is pushing up on the springs/shocks the more effort it takes to push that weight back down again, so the lighter the weight the less effort required to push it back down and it can in turn react faster. The faster your suspension can react the more time you have traction both for acceleration and deceleration, and the more time you have proper balance of the car. What it all comes down to is that anything exerting force on the springs/shocks is unsprung weight. Rotational weight is weight exerted to an axis point, in most cases people are referring to the axle. Such as the wheels, rotors, even the lug nuts, but all those rotational weights from the hub outward is also an unsprung weight. You are killing 2 birds with 1 stone with those which is why they are so effective. That's my rant for the day, I am expecting the technical geniuses to correct me on this, but that's my understanding of them.

Said it better than I did.

Do you think calipers are just calipers now, TurboDreams?

[quote]Racinjitter wrote:
    Originally posted by Richard_85ZXT
    Some cars, like older Jags used inbound brake calipers to reduce the SPRUNG weight. Correction. Outboard brakes are unsprung, inboard brakes are sprung.

Richard_85ZXT:3nnvoggv wrote:
    Originally posted by Richard_85ZXT
    That's my rant for the day, I am expecting the technical geniuses to correct me on this, but that's my understanding of them.
    :lol:[/quote:3nnvoggv]

I think what he was saying is correct, along with your statement. Inboard brakes are sprung, thus using them would reduce unsprung weight because there is no more unsprung caliper, it is now sprung. So… compared to outboard, it reduces unsprung weight.
    1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

thanks careless, now to apply that with my aluminum Z32 calipers, cause the wilwoods are out of my budget right now and I have the Z32 calipers already.

Richard_85ZXT wrote: thanks careless, now to apply that with my aluminum Z32 calipers, cause the wilwoods are out of my budget right now and I have the Z32 calipers already.
    Same here. I would not doubt that the willwoods are better. Heck, a friend of mine went from porsche "big reds" to a set of willwoods of equal size and he said they were better on his 944. But the price is unrealistic for me at the moment.

Even 350z rotors don't make sense for me either… I'd have to change wheel size, unless my 16's will fit for now.
    I'm just going to change to Z32 calipers and rotors, then Z32 MC down the line, then 350z rotors and larger wheels.

Now to search for Z32 brake threads.

this may not be that important but we use Wilwoods on out sprint car and they work fantastic.Never had any problems whatsoever with them.Continue on.
    "If your car cant do a burnout from a 60mph rolling start, then your engine needs more work."

"Nitrous doesn't blow up motors; Idiots with nitrous blow up motors."

Shooting for 500whp