Side trim removal

• Side trim removal

I've noticed most of the really nice looking cars here have the body side trim removed. In the FSM it says they're attached with adhesive strips. I've tried removing one and found that it was, indeed, only attached with adhesive. I was having some trouble getting the others to come off, and was advised all I needed was a heat gun to get them to turn loose. Was planning to stop at HF and pick up a heat gun, as my lame attempt using an old hair dryer just isn't getting the job done. However, in the FSM it also has a cross-sectional diagram that appears to show a clip. That was more of a concern, because I'm not planning to have body work and painting done for a while still.

Am I misreading the diagram? Don't have it at work here, or I'd post a picture of it.
    '86 NA - original owner (1986-93) and final owner (2005-present)

My build thread: http://z31performance.com/showthread…-Got-mine-back

86 quarter panels have two holes that the side strip clips into.
    Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
    if it fails, fuck it.
    at least you gave it a whirl.

85 has 4 holes that clip bottom one into and you have to seat the turn lights properly once removing the side stripping with some rubber inserts. If you don't plan on painting then I would say leave it otherwise it may turn out worse than you expected.
    Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

A Z31 without the side bumpers looks much better than with them. But, a Z31 with side bumpers looks much better that a Z31 with door dings and dents. I don't care how hard you try and prevent door dings, some asshat will park next to you and ding you. I don't care if you park a mile away in the parking lot, someone will park right next to you.

So when I restored my 85T, I kept them. 10 years later, not a mark on the sides. Plus, with the body kit, they were needed to look right.
    Restore it, Don't crush it. They don't make them like this anymore.

Scott
    85 Turbo, original owner, restored
    93 NA Babied

Thanks for the help, guys. I will hold off on doing anything with the back sections until they can be properly shaved.

FlyingT - did you repaint your car? The only pictures I've seen are in your "Member rides" post, and the one in your sig looks darker (like solid black). I agree with you about the trim on the '85 and your body kit… the design on the '86 is different (narrower) and doesn't carry the same benefits to me… I like the streamlined clean look.

The car has not been painted since early 2004, it is dark pewter, which looks dark in certain lights. The Z32 right next to it is black.
    Restore it, Don't crush it. They don't make them like this anymore.

Scott
    85 Turbo, original owner, restored
    93 NA Babied

Thanks… confirmation of Bum's response. You guys are the glue that hold the Z31 community together…